Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Steve, SH member, loses his daughter in Afghanistan

marirlpnmmarirlpn Posts: 1,028
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Matters of the Heart
Steve B., aka Steve42, lost his beloved daughter, Kayla, on 12/21/11, one of our brave Army soldiers in Afghanistan. Steve and I have remained good friends, and out of respect for his privacy and his family's, I asked his permission to post this on our forums, which he just gave to me.

He is with his family at an Army base. The Army has been treating him and his family like royalty, a wonderful thing that he completely was surprised about. It is a long process for the family right now and Kayla will not be returned to their hometown for burial at the military section of their cemetery for at least a week. Steve will let me know what the arrangements are when he knows.

Also, if you would like his address he has asked that you privately message that request to me and I will honor him and Kayla's family by providing that information for you.

Messages of condolences on here will be wonderful for Steve to read. I know he will be thrilled.

Please, though, as the media is knocking at their door in WA constantly and they are being bombarded with phone calls from friends and family...which they are dealing with as easily as can be expected, respect his privacy here as well.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

• and what a terrible loss for Steve and his family. This is a particularly difficult time of year to have a bereavement.

Steve, I'll pray for you and your family. So glad to hear that the Army are looking after you well.

Please accept my sincere condolences.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Sincere condolences for your loss, thinking of you and your family at this sad time.

Thank you Marianne for the post

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm so very sorry for your loss.
  • Yep. Its a loss no words can describe, Very sorry buddy! Just got out of pain dr office and had injection and went shoping while i can walk and picked up a condolance card i will be sending you, But sadly there aint a frickin words that will help i am sure,

I hope god gives you the strength to get through this, I dont know how i would handle this kind of situation, God bless brother!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Steve, my thoughts are with you and your family. I posted on my veterans site as well, as we do consider your daughter our sister as well, even though we may wear uniforms from different countries, we serve side by side. The candle in my window will burn in her memory tonight.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We Will Remember Them
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    For times like this words seem inadequate. I'm very, very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. May God give you strength.

• Thank you all for the wonderful comments. it is nice to have such a wonderful site with many friends. some of you i have chatted with and some ive read your posts. The support on here from the menbers is more than anyone could ask for and for that i thank you all.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    I could come up with that with ease some of your pain. I pray for the strength in you and the rest of your family in dealing with this tragic situation.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    There are no adequate words. I'm so sorry buddy.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • No one including me can express in words the depth of their compassion for the anguish you're feeling at the loss of oyur daughter. >:D< , Ess
  • >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    My Deepest sympathy to you Steve and your family,
    There are no words of comfort to say enough how awe full I feel for you.
    You have always been there to brighten up chat when I or others were in such pain. Truly I miss you.
    I shall keep you and your kids in my prayers daily, that God will guide you thru this.
    >:D< Mary
    aka watergirl
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • All we can do is pray for you and your family in this time of tragedy.
  • deepest condolences to you and your family Steve. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this time.
    God bless your daughter.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • On the loss of your daughter she is truly a hero. God bless and help you and your family during this most difficult time. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am very sorry for your loss. I will forever treasure the gift your daughter gave to us all. She will always be with us and never forgotten.

• I am so very sorry for you and your families loss.
    You have a very brave daughter, and i know you are extremely proud parent.

Like most here i am at a loss for words to express how i feel and sympathesize (sp) for your family.
    Tho when i am hurting i do read the "verse" Footprints in the sand; and that does help calm me down.

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
  • I am so very sorry for your loss, and I can't even begin to imagine your pain. My condolences to you and your family.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I cant imagine the pain, yet in tragedy,there is consolation. She will first and formost, always be a hero to so many. There are so many here indebted to those who choose to walk the darkness for us, so that we may sleep in peace this night. That she chose to walk the high road and live a life above and beyond the ordinary, Future generations of helpless will owe gratitude and thanks to your daughter for her sacrifice.

Thanks are owed to you, for giving your daughter to us, for our defense, for our safe haven in this troubled world.
    I hope there is peace in place of sorrow, strength, in place of tears. my condolences to you and your family on this most trying of times.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• As we done in the past, We have chiped in for flowers to send to funeral and we would like to do the same now, Who ever would like to chip in please contact marir for info,

So who ever knows Steve and would like to be involved in sending something from the spineys to his daughters funeral pm marir, She is the one in contact with Steve and information of place of funeral,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I am deeply saddened to hear about the loss of Steve's daughter Kayla. I cannot imagine what you and your family are feeling Steve. Just want you to know that my thoughts are with you.
  • for writing that for Steve regarding flowers for Kayla.

There is a military memorial service being done at her Army Base in Kentucky on Thursday. I have no details yet about time or address. Steve will be contacting me if he has time to, or is capable of remembering to, when he hears from the Casualty Officer regarding flight arrangements for him to go to Kentucky. So if anyone wants info, please PM me.

No matter what comes about and if we don't get together to send flowers to her service, please all of you know that Steve reads this thread, reads the messages on FB, his page and his friend's, and is sooooooooooo thrilled by your messages of condolences, however which way they are expressed, and they all are making him feel loved and supported.

It is wonderful for him and his family and for Kayla.......

• UPDATE on Kayla Bragg: I just heard from Steve minutes ago....the Memorial Service at her Army base is a CLOSED ceremony, meaning that no flowers, etc. can be sent there. When Steve gets back home (not sure how soon that will be), he will let me know about the arrangements in Kayla's hometown.

He wanted me to express to all of you that he is extremely appreciative of everyone's condolences, no matter if you just post on his or my FB page, or send me a private message, or a card to his home.....Your love, prayers, and thoughts are a great support for him and his family.

God Bless Kayla Bragg!
  • As others have said I'm so very sorry to hear you lost your daughter . Sending big hugs for you and your family .
  • I am broken hearted for you. We are so very thankful to all of the soldiers and their service. We thank you the parent also for all you have done and sacrificed to support us all.
    God Bless
  • Ok then it can be sent to there home town just the same,

I just need the head count who is all in so i know whos names will be on the card with the flower arangement, Right now we have 5 people if iam correct,

Sandra will hadle it from here soon as you have the full info,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Be good to yourself, and may your friends and family comfort you through this terribly difficult time.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal; love leaves a memory no one can steal."

• Sending a prayer for Steve daughter! And may god bless her,,!

Thanks for all who pitched in for the flower arangements for her ceremony today,!

2012 scs implant ,
  • for taking care of making sure the flowers arrive today to Kayla's Celebration of Life. I am sure he will be surprised and thrilled to see them there when his friends and family gather today to talk about their memories of Kayla........

God bless her, Steve, her family and their friends.......