Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF Update

spinedsspined Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my ALIF 9L5-S1) at an outpatient surgery center in Dallas Tx on 12/12/11. everything went smooth on the day of surgery, with the total procedure taking under 1.5 hours.

I was discharged the next afternoon at about 5pm. My surgeon never saw me, nor looked at my dressings prior to discharge. The last time I saw him was about 30 minutes before induction.

Sent home with an Rx for 10/325 Norco, my instructions were to keep the bandage dry and see the doctor in his office on the 27th of December. The folks at the hospital provided my with aqua guard protectors to cover the dressing for showering.

I took a shower the next day and a small amount of water moistened the top layer of the dressing. I called the office and told the nurse that the bandage was slightly wet and that I was going to change it myself. (Formerly a paramedic, I have a understanding of wound dressings and sterile procedure)

The nurse proceeded to berate me for ignoring their specific instructions not to remove the dressing for two weeks. I told her that we were discussing history because I was not about to leave a wet dressing on a surgical site.

Two days later I was in severe pain at the incision site, called the doctors office, was berated again, and told to pick an emergency room, and have a nice day.

At the ER the incision was red, slightly discharging a pale pink yellow fluid. The ER doc ordered a CT to see if there were any other causes for my deep abdominal pain. The CT demonstrated cellulitis at the incision site and some air pockets in the small bowel consistent with ileus. The ER docs thought that an good dose of IV Clindamycin and some oral Keflex would probably handle the infection and recommended that I eat less.

Three days later I was in severe pain again and went back to that ER. The incision was definitely infected now, and the size of my extended symphony drum tight belly screened ileum. I was admitted, place on IV Vancomycin and IV Clindamycin.

Today I came home from that hospital and was sent directly to an infectious disease doctor who set up a PICC line and sent me home with $1,000 worth of IV Vanc. That's 7 days folks.

Here are my learnings from this disaster. Do a little better homework. 50% of all abdominal surgeries result in some degree of ileus. The reason you stay in the hospital 2 to 5 days is to insure that your bowels are functioning correctly, and that your incision site remains infection free.

Do not leave the hospital on the basis that a nurse claims to hear normal bowel sounds. Until you pass some flatus or fecal material your bowels are not working properly. Small bowel ileus can kill you, and ten though the small bowel sounds awake first, they don't stay awake if you pound them with 20mg of hydroxide every 4 hours. Oxycodone is much less likely to produce ileus, and should be the drug you're sent home with.

Dressings over surgical sites are going to seep fluid. Leaving a wet dressing on even 24 hours is never a safe idea. My slight exposure to water in a clean shower was not the source of this infection.

I now have open areas of an incision that must be packed with a saline cause by a home care nurse daily. The dressing that covers this wound is a special silver based foam that costs $13.80 for each 4X4 dressing , and I use two per day. By the way stuffing a salt filled dressing into an open incision is not even close to comfortable.

The IV antibiotics I'm taking are sometimes responsible for kidney failure and deafness. At a $1,000 a week they're also not designed for the uninsured.

So if you're Ortho wants you to do an easy 2 day ALIF.... don't walk....run out of his office and find a real doctor.

Yeah, I'm bitter.
L3-L4 Laminectomy micro-discectomy 2008
ALIF L5-S1 2012
Facet Joint Ablation L2 to S1 2012
Facet Joint Ablation. L2 to S1 2015


  • What a dreadful experience you're going through and I can understand your bitterness with how you've been treated.

    I don't understand how any hospital can discharge you the day after major surgery. I was in hospital for 5 days for L4-5 surgery.

    I hope the infection can be brought under control soon and that you start to feel a bit better. Do let us know how you're going.


    XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Healthcare reform is great, isn't it! It's a shame that you're having to pay the price (literally) for a rush surgical job.

    I've cautioned a couple friends having back surgeries where their doctors wanted to send them home in 24 hours. While I was ready to go home at the four day point after my surgery, I'm glad I was in that long because I developed a lung infection from being intubated during the procedure. The nurses caught it quick enough before I had a real bad problem. If I were at home, Lord only knows how far it would have progressed.

    As for the bandages, they were changed daily while in the hospital and were removed totally before being discharged. My belly was way tender and I too covered the incision before showering.

    I wish you the best!

    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I am 58 y/o and have had severe leg/buttock pain > 1 year. The pain is mainly in my left buttock and down the back of my left leg into the big toe. Epidurals have helped some but still having discomfort.

    My MRI shows severe stenosis (65%) at L3/4 with central disc bulge as well as foraminal stenosis at L5/S1 with a low grade of stable spondylolisthesis there.

    The simplest intervention my neurosurgeon suggests would be to do bilateral laminotomies and discectomy and L3/4. If that does not help then he is suggestion is decompression of the L5 nerve root via fusion (ALIF or PLIF).

    Does anyone have any experience with such procedures? I've lived a fairly active lifestyle playing tennis, hiking, etc. Now I can barely walk around the block! I know I'll never be back to "normal" but I would like to walk/hike with my wife and dog.

Sign In or Register to comment.