Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

acute left leg heavy numbness,tingling heavy feeling 3.5 weeks post op TLIF??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I hope someone can give me some good news and relieve my anxiety for now at least... I had my L5 S1 TLIF almost a month ago, since then I've had NO numbness at all just some right leg pain, right hip pain from bone graft and my left leg was tight behind the knee but that has all been slowly going away and I am down to only taking 1 flexeril at night and the occasional T3.. This morning I woke up feeling "uneven" literally, like my right hip was sitting higher then my left so I was being lazy this morning, anyway I finally got up and got on the treadmill and walked for 20 minutes at 2.5 mph, as soon as I got off my entire left leg and foot felt heavy and numb, I took a shower and couldn't even feel the razor shaving on that leg? then I tried using my tens unit to stimulate the muscle/nerves and I could barely feel that either... I can walk just fine it just feels really weird... It's Christmas Eve and I do not want to ruin today or tomorrow for my kids or would I want to go to the ER and the Surgeon have to leave his family if this is something that is common or part of the nerves healing... long story short.. has anyone had this happen after fusion surgery?

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,459
    ..I do not know what is usual..but I do know it is difficult to decide what to do with some symptoms.

I would think that all the more reason to call the doctor and let him or the on call doctor tell you if normal and you would be reassured..or if you needed to go to the ER.

Doc would want you to take care of yourself esp. after all his work and your enduring surgery.

Please let us know how you are doing.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks for the advice and concern, turns out the numbness, warm tingling sensation can be and probably is the nerves trying to heal ! I had a CT scan and was normal! I am exactly 1month post op and now exactly as far along as I'd hoped but I dont think I've given myself the rest I need , I can't stand sitting around watching everyone around me doing it all but realize that's exactly what I must do to heal! anyway just wanted to let you know!!