Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Michigan - Recommend a Neurosurgeon for Fusion???

RandyLumbarWRRandyLumbarW Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I live near Lansing, MI, and am currently searching for a neurosuregeon to perform a spinal (L4-5) fusion. Can anyone recommend one anywhere in MI? Also, if you've had one, any lumbar fusion info or input would be great. Thanks!

• I had a L-3-4-5 fusion 18 months ago and I am pleased to report I am doing great. I should have done it sooner. I was like you, wondered what to expect and worried I would end up in a wheelchair. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I selected an experienced neurosurgeon and I have never regretted it. The surgery took about 3 hours and I was in the hospital for 3 days. My advice to you is to get up and start walking as soon as you can after surgery. I found that very beneficial. Start out slow and do a little more each time you get up to ambulate. Secondly, strictly follow the surgeons instructions regarding lifting and exercise. I am 52 years old and I now downhill ski and jet ski. One thing I don't do is have back,leg and groin pain any longer. I was off work for 2 weeks and started back with half days. Best of luck.

PS: I had my surgery in Lansing and I am from Grand Rapids!