Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck strain, can't lift head. Normal?

shuandrewsshuandrew Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all. A few weeks ago, I sat up in bed and felt a clunking pull in the back and middle of my neck. My doc diagnosed muscle strain, and I have been prescribed painkillers and anti inflammatories.

My main worry is that I cannot lift my head/neck level without a sharp pinching pain after a few seconds, in the spot I pulled it, forcing me to droop my head again. Drooping ky head like this has caused a further pull in my back.

I know strains can take weeks to heal, but can anyone reassure me that my symptoms sound familiar? I have been stretching to relieve stiffness, but should I force my neck level, even though it kills, or droop and hope it eases? I can't stand up long with the pain so I am sitting with a drooped head or lying for reiief.

I think my complaint was caused by prolonged poor posture. I hope someone can help reassure me as I am a great worrier and scared2 that I have something bad.

Thank you for reading.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to SH.

In my opinion (such as it is) it does sound like a strain. I've had many of them and know the feeling well. Ouch! It's no fun at all and yes it seems to take a long time for them to get better.

Did they give you any muscle relaxers? I've always tried heat, massage, and very gentle stretches to try to help. Plus pain relief ointments--I think the gentle massage from rubbing in on helps more than the ointment does.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope that you feel better real soon. Hopefully the anti-inflammatory will help. Keep us updated.