Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mild Disk Disease

rachael1978rrachael1978 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi my name is Rachael, aged 33 and I have been recently been diagnosed with mild disk disease, I am married with two young children, and recently qualified as a nurse. I have had back problems for the last 5 years and it has been for the last two I have complained about leg pain ect, my reasons for the message is becasue even though I'm now a nurse I still don't know to much on the subject and I am very scared for my future as wife, mum and the career I have a head, and was wondering if someone could please give me some facts, as all I have at the minute is that it is going to get worse !!!!!!! Has anybody got anything positive to tell me such as, there is a cure for it messeages, exercise, weight loss ect please help as I carnt focus on anything else, I would appreciate any replies. Thank u so much for your time. Rachael

• HI Rachael,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others whom have came and gone, with the same issue as yourself. First of all I think you need learn what it is? What level do you have the mild DDD at? It is not really like a disease and the word implies. At the top of this page is several good links to articles and video that are very useful in explaining it. But there are some things you can do to help yourself. One of you smoke, stop. If your over weight lose the weight. Both of those are for your overall health. Exercise is always beneficial but will help you also the most. As far as what are the proper exercises you should do, the site has some very good ones that are helpful. A class in yoga might also be beneficial for you at the same time. Massage therapy is a very good thing to do over all and will help loosen any tight muscles up. You can also take up swimming, which is very good.

Just get informed and learn about the spine, and using proper body mechanics and hopefully you will jump this hurdle and never look back. Keep in mind that everyone after the age of 25 will show some degeneration in their spine, as it is a series of joints and like any moving object will have wear and tear on it. Now not everyone will experience pain, so sounds as though you caught it early and can do preventative things to keep it from getting worse.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Take care and keep us posted on how you get along.
  • Hi Tamtam. Thank you so much for your reply it means a lot :). I also feel a little bit more relaxed after your advie I have a doctors appoitment in the morning and will find out then more about my spine, I think it has been more scary being a nurse and caring for people with back injuries ect, and when I did research it there is a lot of conflicting info on the big wide web lol,I'm hoping to be getting an appoitment with the physiotherapist soon. Once again thank you so much for you reply :D. Rachael xxx
  • Mild disc degeneration is a normal part of the aging process and is generally not a problem in and of itself. However, for certain individuals an even relatively mildly degenerated disc may cause pain of varying intensity. DDD is thought to be one of the most common causes of persistant low back pain.
    Disc degeneration is not technically a disease, but rather a condition in which the discs dry out and shrink very slowly over time.
  • Massage/stretching helped me get off painkillers
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    when you first start having back problems. It makes it more difficult when you are raising a family, have job responsibilities and much more.

The best thing for you to do at this point is to research as much as you can to better understand the various spinal conditions.

Take a look at the Spine-Health's main menu. They have tabs that outline many various Spinal conditions and another tab for Spinal treatments.

Having disc problems by no means sentenced you or anyone else to a difficult and troubled future. Many disc problems can be treated using conservative methods.

So, as someone coming into the medical health field, you owe it to yourself and family to understand all what you can about your situation.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com