Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I Hurt It Worse

Kara1623KKara1623 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
So for the people who have read my two other post in ddd and in depressed forums ya'll know I've been trying to work with my back condition as a cna, but for those who don't know I have 2bulging disc, 1herinated disc, and two veterbreas that are degerating all in the lumbar area. Well the point of this forum I worked a 16 hours shift new years eve and I was in so much pain, but rested all day yesturday since I was off so I woke up this morning feeling better. Tonight I worked and I really don't know what I did but I can't walk without being hunched over. I am in so much pain it hurts to do anything. My pain is a 9 right now which it's never gotten that bad and I've had pain for three months. Do ya'll believe I could have hurt it worse either with lifting,twisting,or pulling that double the other night. I really like my job but I think it's time to say goodbye. If I quit can I get unemployment for being in pain since I'm not quitting because I want to?

• Mine gets worse if ive been bending over a lot so I can see that happening :/
  • hurt my back by doing a patient transfer. I continued to try to work for a while, as I loved being a nurse. Unfortunately in my case, I am sure that I injured my back much worse, and now regret that I continued.

Please be extra careful in what you do, you only have one back. Since I injured mine, I had an unsuccessful discectomy/lami and am now getting an adr in a month. Take it easy, with a back injury you should try not to bend lift or twist (impossible in nursing in my opinion.)

I know it is a tough decision, and only one you can make. We all want to make a living. It is just my opinion that I should have stopped when I first hurt my back.

All the best to you

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hello Kara, couldn't help but pick up on the Ya'll, ha, thought you might be a neighbor from Texas.
    Anyrate, not sure what you do for your job, guessing myabe healthcare? I'm not a nurse, I'm a mechanic by trade, but I know what you mean, I enjoy doing what I do, and I make pretty good money doing it, plus the opportunity for overtime.
    Anyway, I'm almost 41 and coming to the realization that 20 years of my line of work, crappy genetics and some bad habits have pushed me to the brink of back surgery. I'm really trying to hold off if I can, but quality of life seems to be slowly slipping away. I do sadly realize that, I might have a chance at putting off back surgery at least for a little while if I get out of my trade, so, I'm going to investigate a transfer from my department to a more supervisory type position. Still with the same company but a different'm role.

This will allow me to give my back a chance at putting off surgery by removing me from hard physical job requirements, but it will put me at a desk, and if sitting for long hours throws me into surgery, well there is nothing else I can do. But at least I'm trying everything conservatively I can.

I know what you mean about long hours, and or for me bending over with a pars defect at l5 just flares up more muscle fatigue/spasm and pain. Maybe you can look into different department at your job to give you, a chance at putting off back surgery.
  • Thanks for all the comments I appreciate it but I talked to my job today and I think I'm gonna be terminated soon since doc put me back on light duty no bending,lifting,crawling etc. job says I can't work with those restrictions on healthcare. If I get terminated can I file for unemployment???
  • Yes, dont feel bad about it, after all you have paid into it your whole life
  • Can you just be med nurse????????????? You might start to look for jobs where you qualify better. Be proactive.

Leila deurell