Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated disc below ACDF

Disco DiDDisco Di Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ACDF C3-C6 3 years ago. I also have ddd, osteo, stenosis, etc.
I now have a herniated disc below my ACDF. I also experince horrible back pain (L5-S1).Has anyone had this problem? What do they do for the herniated disc when you have already had surgery. Is there a limit to how many fusions they can do in a row?

So far they do epidurals with Drop Medrol in my low back and Deximethsone in my neck plus meds. Would love to hear from anyone in the same boat. Thanks Di

• HI,
    Anywhere you have a fusion, it puts more pressure on the next disc in line...just how it works. If you only have had the ACDF, and need another surgery, they may do both anterior and posterior this time to give more stability.. ACDF is much easier than the posterior surgery...I had mine a day apart and was in the hospital for a week...then at least a month at home, before I felt human again...Posterior was very rough for me, but may not be for everyone..
    Good luck!
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many others whom have had adjacent disc disease, which means the fusion puts stress on the other levels causing new issues. I myself am fused at c3-c7 and the last one was added in on the c6-c7, from adjacent disc disease. My last surgery was a anterior/posterior approach completed in one surgery. This wasn't my first rodeo with the posterior approach so I kind of new what to expect. Be sure to ask your doctors what can be done to stop the adjacent disc disease. Which sometimes by putting the rods in posterior it does stabilize your neck.

As far as the lumbar issues, I think you need to decide which one is giving you more grief. I have a herniation at the l4-l5 but been holding the paid down with injections. We actually did a injection right before my last surgery to help me get through it. I don't think you want to places on your spine healing at the same time.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and hope you get some relief soon.