Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how do you describe your pain to your doctor ?

BuddaBBudda Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Lower Back Pain
I would love to know how to get my doctor to realise how bad my pain is at times. Most of the time he never listens to me any way and has an opinion of his own how I should be feeling. I got a copy of my apt notes not to long ago and nothing I said was even in there it was every thing he had been saying during my apt. He kept saying to me so it hurts in your left leg right and I must have told him 5 times the pain was radiating down both legs now lol in the not it said "pt states pain radiatin down left leg " lol I have tried to explain the feeling in my back like an abcessed tooth in my back that never stops hurting but he just wont listen and as a Veteran I have no choice as he is the only pain Doctor we have

Any suggestions or should I just kick him where the good lord split him and tell him thats how I feel only in my back ?

• Don't do that! lol.

Could you perhaps job down a few notes, without being overly dramatic, and give it to him at your next visit? Tell him you'll be quiet for a minute while he reads it. Perhaps it'll be easier for him to "get it" if it is written.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks for the reply cindy but my doctor seems to have made his mind up and I did a pain journal for him for a month he didnt even read it the dork at least my pain clinic pharmasist likes me it took my doctor forever to get the fact that I am allergic to morphine causes more pain then it helps well after 3 years of me complaining I saw the clinic pharmasist and she changed me to oxycontin I guess somebody signed off on it but when I saw my doctor 4 months later he asked my how I was doing on my morphine I almost smacked him I told him I wasnt on it for the last 4 months and he says so what are you taking now ?? almost like he forgets everything said to him as soon as he leaves the room but he does tell me every time I see him that I look better than the first time I saw him over 6 years ago ? I dont get it but its stuck in his brain for some reason every time "you look alot better now lol and I am on the same meds I was on when I saw him the first time I saw him but more of it lol
  • They get confused when you tell them its mostly in to 1 leg but it also changes and goes in to both legs, i had this hapen many times,

You just have to stress that it alternates from 1 leg to both legs, I have nerve damage on the left so when nerve pain is intense then its mostly the left side, but when it lets up some i feel it in both legs. Just not the same pain,

This hapens all the time for many, When ever i go in and talk to dr and say how intense the pain is on left side many times he forgets that dont mean other side dont hurt, It just means 1 side hurts more then the other,

Dr,s are only human also i guess so they forget sometimes when they see so many patients, You just simply have to speak up when he is done talking and say what you have to say when its your turn,

They will usualy listen but sometimes you have to remind them and correct them, The best is to have the drawing where you color in the area of the body where the pain travels and dr gets the full picture without having to explain it especialy if you are in too much pain to have a clear conversarion, Try that,

Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • no one can feel your pain {not even people like us} i also wish that my doctor could feel what i have to live with every day and night and have done for the last 15 years.
    my family doctor is a good guy and can be sympathetic .but i do know where you are going with your post ..there are two letters doing the rounds on here and it may be work you printing them out and referring to them as and when ..one is called the spoon theory and the other is .a letter to a normals .both strange titles i know but make interesting reading ..i took the letter to a normals and rewrote it but with a slant towards my condition .i am one week post of from ALIF surgery and believe me they hurt like hell !
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • thank you both for the ideas I will give them a try but I still like the kick idea maybe he will lay there crying and I can say so it hurts in the left leg lol ok ok not just yet I guess

Thanks again
  • thats my problem as well, i can't seem to get any of the doctors i see to understand how much pain i'm in. There prescribing powerful pain meds. but then they tell me that i'm a healthy young lady and can do whatever i want to, what a load of crap!!!! :0 I can barely do my housework without being in agony. One day of housework and three days of rest,but i can do whatever i want too. If anyone knows how to get them to listen i'm all ears. lol.
This discussion has been closed.