Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie saying 'Hello'

Ronnie701RRonnie701 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello :H

A little bit about me ... have been diagnoised with advanced disc degeneration [L4/5] with grade 2 Spondylolisthesis due to pars articularis deficit.

Told I need surgery, which should be done after April this year.

I'm sure that someone else out there has this problem too ... my neurosurgen makes it clear to me that he's done hundreds of these operations, lol... but still - it would be really nice to here about other peoples experiences :)))

Kindest regards, Ronnie

• Welcome to spine-health. You'll find many friends here whom are eager to help. Take a look around all the different doctor written articles and videos. Use the blue search feature at the top of the screen to find those articles.

I'm sure someone will come along soon with experience with the surgery you mention. Again, welcome to our community of fellow spine patients.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks Cindy ... good advice ;-)
  • I am going to have a laminectomy and discectomy at L4-L5 on January 26. I don't have pars articularis deficit (I had to look up what it meant. What kind of surgery are they suggesting?

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi - wanted to update things :-)
    I had my L4/L5 spinal fusion & bone graft almost a year ago and things are much much better - not totally 'normal' but definately better than before the op.
    Before the op I could't walk without crutches, would 'surf' the furniture in my home to get around, could not stand up straight for 1 minuite without being 'forced' to bend over ... resembeling a 'frail old lady' ;-(
    (BTW - for any b/f's or hubbies ... it's not funny to try and 'bonk' your lady when she's stuck like this! ... but as I also had the bladder/bowel problem by this stage - it could have been a 'dirty trick' gone bad on him!!! lol)
    I couldn't walk to the shops without getting breathless, exhausted, faint ... taking hours and fearful I'd have a toilet accident ... not to mention trying to keep two toddlers safe crossing roads, avoiding dangers at parks/ponds etc. I was a bag of nerves and was housebound!
    I had to also care for my adult daughter who has Down Syndrome - changing beds/lifting/driving ... the list goes on!
    I couldn't prepare a family meal and we were surviving on junk or take aways!
    It was a very sorry state of affairs ;-)
    So I am very happy that I now only have numbness in my right foot and no reflexes in my right knee! I still have my co-codamol & naproxen daily but the doses are minimal now. I still get very tired but thats probably more to do with my caring/mother role lol and as long as I make sure I have regular rest breaks I can keep up. I try not to overdo things because my body gives up for a day or two afterwards to recouperate.
    I've changed my car (thank you dad) from a manual gearbox to a 'stickshift' automatic that the kids can climb in without me lifting them and thats a huge improvement - I was scared to death that I was gonna kill someone before, so refused to drive ... buses used to be out but now I can manage them with the kids too!
    My roast dinner at christmas was awful!! lol I'd forgotten all my techniques & timings etc cos I hadn't been able to peel/chop prepare things - but I've been practising and my potatoes roast up nicely now (yum)
    The bladder/bowel weakness is more psychological now I think - not one accident but I worry about anything and everything so no surprises to me there lol
    I've had my 6 month check - the hosp didn't have all the post op xrays (extension & flexation) so they did another set plus another MRI about 5 weeks ago - still waiting on the result ... hoping no news is good news!
    My numb foot frustrates me more than anything - and they are always freezing cold!
    I've had some ups and downs along the way since the surgery but I wouldn't go back and really glad my neursurgeon made it clear to me that I'd end up unable to walk without it! I can't thank him enough - just wish my O/H & family could/would understand how difficult things were for me then and sometimes now!
    Hey ho - love & peace to you all x