Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mystery Disease Help!!!

BrokebackBobBBrokebackBob Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I had 3 ACDF June 28, 2011..developed c5 palsy that is just now beginning to clear up. Since surgery I have had 7 or 8 episodes of total body fatigue that last 2 0r 3 days each. I lose my appetite and I have zero energy barely able to get out of bed. No muscle soreness or other symptoms. Several doctor visits and blood work showed low Vit D and 50,000 units weekly has raised level and we thought episodes were over but I had one two weeks ago, 7 weeks after the last one, and that was the worse episode yet. I have severe spinal stenosis in lumbar and had surgery scheduled for Jan 24, 2012??? But now with recurring episodes of fatigue doc wants more tests before surgery...cardiac, thyroid, EMG, EEG I dont want surgery with this mystery ailment hanging on. Any spine people had such fatigue??? I was hoping lower surgery would go as well as neck and I could get back to regular life or close to it...

• They dont think the fatigue is from the pain? With severe pain i thought fatigue is prety normal,

When my pain gets very intense it drains the life out of you and raises blood pressure and csuses fatigue,

Is that what you refering to?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Well, I'm with Alex - pain and surgeries can definitely cause us to be more tired that most. I've found that after my two surgeries, I'm simply not the person I was before.

I used to come home from work, make dinner, clean the kitchen, feed the dogs and play with them, watch TV, get ready for the next day then go to bed. Next day: up fresh as a daisy. Now, getting up for work is the most difficult thing in the world. My hubby is pretty sick of me apologizing for not being who I used to be, with the house dirty, the kitchen not always clean, etc.

Pain (and I understand lumbar stenosis pain) can be very debilitating and that pain can make you very lethargic and tired.

If they rule out all else, it really just could be spiney exhaustion - this spine stuff really takes its toll on our bodies.

I also want to mention that lumbar surgery is going to be more difficult that your ACDF - it will most likely take twice the time, if not more, to recover from than cervical surgery. It's a bear and you probably won't even feel close to normal for six months or so.

Anyway, I hope they find the reason for your fatigue, but also wonder if it's just a normal thing going on due to being a spine patient.

Take care and please keep us posted.