Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Forum and FRUSTRATED with Back and leg pain!!!!!!

Kelsy287KKelsy287 Posts: 1
Good morning all! I am new to this site and am just really at my wits end!! I am in my 30s and just ready to scream!

To give a little history about my problem, I used to work for a nursing home. I am a nurse. I happened to help someone pull a patient up in the bed. This patient was very overweight and when I went to help pull the patient up, I heard something pop in my back. I thought, well I just pulled something and Motrin will make it go away. It kept on and on. Well this was back in 2008.

I have had back pain on the right side of my back. Dealing with that and having to take pain medications and muscle relaxers. I constantly have a heating pad on my back. I have tried ice, physical therapy and all this stuff. Now, when I first hurt my back, an MRI was done and showed two bulging discs at L4/L5 S1.

Just a couple of weeks ago out of nowhere, the left side started hurting. It is nowhere like the right side. It seems to be worse. It starts in my left butt cheek and goes down the back of my leg and sometimes feels like a pinch in the inner part of my thigh. This has been awful!! Well, I went to a Neurosurgeon and he did an MRI which showed there were no abnormalities. It didn't even show any bulging discs any longer. Just slight Scoliosis.

I know this sounds bad but sometimes I wish there was something that showed up on there so they could fix it and I can be normal again!! I love walking and exercising but haven't been able to lately! The pain is really bad when sitting or trying to stand up to walk somewhere. It is not bad when I'm walking. I sit for over 8 hours a day on my current job. The chair I sit in is so hard and it seems like it just presses right on the area of pain and it kills me and causes my concentration to be off.

My wonderful husband one morning pulled out a pillow from the closet that is sooo very soft and I took it to work to see if it would cushion my leg and sure enough, it does help to relieve the pressure and pain. The thing is the pain is still there and I should be enjoying my life with my husband.

When I am at home, I sit in this very cushioned recliner which helps also. I guess I'm just wondering what I should do. So frustrated. Don't know where to go at this point. I am currently taking Ultram,Zanaflex and Neurontin. I was told to try Neurontin for my right side and stopped because I thought I was gaining weight from it. I started back on it because I wanted to see if it would help this new issue. I can't really tell at this point if it is helping. I think it is some. Can someone please give me their opinion????

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps another doctor should look at your mri and at you!! don't give up if you are feeling pain and need medical attention... many of us have had to seek out doctor after doctor to get a proper diagnosis... if you recive enough confirmation of a diagnosis that does not include surgery then you should probably find a good pain management doctor.. he can offer you the most options for pain control and a pain plan.. i am sorry you are having so much pain and not receiving much relief..good luck with your pain problems!! stop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)
  • I know exactly how frustrated you are.
    From my very small experience but especially from friends and relatives ii is very important to rest at home [mainly in bed] for some weeks.
    Now being off work for so long is a problem but it seems inevitable.
    In my case I have just started to feel better in my fourth week at home and after taking Medrol pills 4mg 3 per day [first 3 days], then 2/day [next 3 days]
    and 1 per day for the final 3 days.
    Before Medrol I had NSAID pills and injections.
    I hope in 2-3 weeks to be much better and back at work, till then pray...
    Keep searching this site, you will find useful information.
    I wish you fast progress away from pain.

• Hi Kelsey, I too am new to this forum, but I need to vent to anyone because you can only go so far with the doctors before you get the obligatory mm, that's bad, and my brother-in-law is a daggum neuroseugeon.
    I have been going on like this for years, and I mean years. There is absolutely no explanation for my sciatic pain, but proof the nerve has significant damage shown on my nerve conduction tests, and I have
    no plantar reflex. I know what you mean about the Neurontin, but trust me, it is helping. Without it you may end up not eating, sleeping, smiling, laughing (well, can't laugh anyway because of the pressure on the nerve). I ran out of it once, and forgot to call the doctor. By Sunday all I could do was lay on my side and make low grunting sounds. My dear, sweet brother (not my arogant @#&* brother-in-law) offered me his Nortripyline that had been prescribed for nerve damage in his arm. Out of desperation I took it, and Monday had my Neurontin refilled. I decided to keep taking the Nortripyline, and am so glad I did because the combo has helped by giving me a good night's sleep everynight. I am still in awful pain during the day, but I do function. Ask your doctor. Also, don't let him give you a piddling amt of Neurtontin. I am on 3,000mg a day and 100mg of the Nortriptyline. Also, take the Neurontin three times a day. If I run out of my bottle at work, and forget to bring a new bottle for a few days, I can sure tell it. You need the three doses a day. Hope this helps a little. I guarantee it won't help a lot. BOO HOO!

Caution - Red Flag

Never under any circumstances take medication that was prescribed for another person.
    You have violated some forum rules
    You are not in a position to prescribe how someone should be taking medications. There are so many different dosages of medications, so telling someone to take "X" daily can be potentially fatal to someone

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 02/03/12
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    in the medical field (especially nurses, respiratory therapists, etc) who injure their back from having to lift patients that are way over weight.

And for whatever reason, the problems seem to be in the L4/L5 and L5/S1 area.

It sounds like the pain going down your leg is sciatica. I would have assumed that via your diagnostic tests that would have been picked up. Many times, clinical examinations by doctors can just about verify that sciatica is one of the problems.

For my nerve pain, Neurontin took a while before I started realizing its benefits. I started at 300mg a day, went up to 2600mg a day and now I am on 1200mg a day. You should never stop taking Neurontin unless you have discussed this with your doctor. Yes, one of the side effects of Neurontin (and I think with other nerve medications) is potential weight gain.

Since your doctor has prescribed medications for , what is his/her action plan on treating you?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi all. This is my first post here. I've read what other folks have posted regarding their pain and how long they have dealt with it. I'm now thinking I shouldn't be complaining at all. I've only had Sciatica for 2 weeks (sudden onset)... but still it is already affecting my quality of life. The DR at first put me on Percocet and Vailum (which did nothing for the pain) then put me on 900mg of Neurontin, 1000mg of Naproxen, 30mg of Flexeril and 150mg of Tramadol per day. This combination has done little for me but perhaps taken the edge off. I am a diabetic so getting a steroid injection is out of the question. The pain in my thigh and calf are excruciating and I've begun to lose sensation in my toes. Going upstairs is practically impossible without stopping once or twice. I am unable to find a comfortable position period... sitting, standing and walking can only be done in short spurts. Laying down on my right side with a pillow between my legs is the only time I get any kind of relief and even then the pain is still unbearable.
    I don't have insurance so a MRI is out of the question. I have had xrays done but of course that showed nothing. Just not sure how much longer I can live with the pain and not lose my mind.