Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Some muscle relaxant and pain med questions

BuelaBBuela Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Pain Medications
I'm one-week post-op 2-level ACDF. Overall I'm doing pretty well except for very tight muscles in my neck and shoulders. For pain I've been given Nucynta 75mg every 4-6 hours, and trying very hard to stay on top of it before I get too uncomfortable. For muscle spasms I'm prescribed zanaflex, 4mg, every 8 hours.

Some context on my questions: I'm crazy over-cautious about the possibility of addiction (since that's why we're raising our two grandkids, so it hits very close to home) but I also know that I tend to really put off taking meds until it's too late so I've made the commitment that at least for these first two weeks I'm going to take the pain meds on a schedule and not according to how I feel, so those feel like conflicting interests to me. Meds have a tendency to make me queasy, though I'm feeling that queasyness now for the first time in a few days. They're also knocking my ass down in terms of tiredness which I know I should likely just accept for while I'm still so soon post-surgery (I'm at home with a 24/7 neck brace for at least 3 more weeks), and it's definitely helping me to sleep (such as it is with this brace) at least a lot better than if I was on something that made me less tired, though I'm very concerned about pain and muscle tension management after I need to go back to work, IF I'm still needing meds for that.

My questions are:

-- Are there any pain or muscle relaxant meds that are the LEAST likely to make you tired or to interfere if you're trying to work or need to drive? Right now, no way at all could I work or drive for at least a couple of hours after taking the meds (once they kick in).
-- Are there any pain or muscle relaxant meds that are the LEAST likely to make you queasy?
-- Would it help to alternate them (take pain meds at least 2 hours before/after muscle relaxants) instead of taking them at the same time?
-- With the muscle relaxant meds, is it generally ok to take 1/2 every 4 instead of one every 8 if that makes it more tolerable in terms of tiredness, or should I verify with the doctor before doing that?

• but i will say almost all muscle relaxers will knock me for a loop, 1 pill and i'll sleep for days. my primary gave me robaxin instead of the soma the surgeon gave me. i've tried both, and i can say robaxin doesn't knock me out. soma will literally put me to sleep for days at a time.

as for pain meds... i find all of them either make me sick or make me sleepy. the only one i've ever had any luck with is oxycodone. (not percocet.. the minute there is tylenol in the pill, i get sick to my stomach from it.) i get sleepy, so i won't drive if i take it, but i don't feel outright sick from it either, which happens with most other meds.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012