Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good outcome!

MoDrums68MMoDrums68 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post a follow up after my microdiscectomy surgery at L4-5 that was done the day before Thanksgiving last year.

I had developed sudden foot drop and severe lower leg pain, and had been experiencing chronic back pain for years. I had a severe disc herniation compressing the nerve root at L5.

Anyway, I am glad to say I am doing great! The foot drop and leg pain has all but resolved and an unexpected bonus has been the fact that I no longer have any back pain either which I was not expecting after reading a lot about back surgery. I was quite worried about the surgery but can say wholeheartedly right now that I have no regrets.

I continue to walk daily and will always be mindful of the fact that I need to be careful with certain activities, however I am looking forward to moving on with my life.

I wanted to post this because one reads so much about not such good outcomes after surgery and I think it is important to present both sides. Having said that, surgery is a personal decision that should not be taken lightly and the choice has to be made individually for each person in consultation with their Dr.

Wishing everyone well! :)

• COOL! It is so nice to hear of success stories! And, fantastic that you also got rid of back pain.

Wishing you many more years of recovery success!
  • Did you feel better right away after surgery? Or did some of the leg pain take awhile to go away?

Congrats on the recovery and thanks for posting, its so nice to see success stories.

• I love to read about someone with a good outcome. I am very happy for you and thank you for sharing your story!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi Brian,

It took a while for the leg pain to go away. In fact it seemed worse the first week or so because I had three epidurals that had helped the pain a lot pre- op but not the weakness of course. The pain seemed worse in the mornings after lying down all night and then it gradually got better each day. I definitely felt better if I walked each day.

I had one day a couple of weeks ago that was awful, almost as bad as the original pain. I was running a fever and feeling pretty sick and had constant lower leg pain again even when lying down. I was really worried I have to admit and then I took ibuprofen and the next day the fever was down and I felt fine again and haven't had pain to speak of since.

I am pretty active though being very careful of course. I really think everyone is different and I am sure that some people take longer for the nerves to heal but am hopeful that my story will give others hope.

I wish you all the very best with your recovery. Know that it does get better!

• Kwilson400KKwilson400 Posts: 42
    edited 07/15/2012 - 4:26 PM
    Good luck
    June 2011 L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    Dec. 2011 Repeat L5-S1 Lamenectomy/Discectomy
    June 2012 New tear L5-S1 w/ Perm. Sciatic Nerve Damage
    Currently- restrictions (including no work duties) for a min. of 3 months to allow disc time to heal
  • Try not to blame yourself! I was told by my surgeon there is a 3% chance of reherniation and it could happen a week post op, or 30 years later! It is a difficult thing readjusting ones lifestyle and activity levels after something like this especially when one has been very active prior. I feel so good now that I have to constantly remind myself to not over do it. This has certainly been a good lesson for me to listen to my body more and not take a healthy back for granted! I wish you all the very best with your long term recovery! :)