Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can Infection Come Back in a New Surgery? A question about Pseudomonas

jajalangjjajalang Posts: 12
Hi, I was recently (i.e. 2 days ago) told that I need major back surgery again.

My last surgery (1 year ago) had many complications 1 of which was 3 infections. I was told in follow up visits (with my Infectious Diseases Dr.) that 1 of these infections, Pseudomonas Aeruginosa could flare up if I was to ever get hit hard in the back...

The procedure the doctor thinks I should have would cut parts of the spine to reshape it, add osteomies and instrumentation to connect the thoracic to the pelvis with bilateral iliac screws and also reattach onto existing hardware that begins at T1.

Anyways, does anyone know if this procedure will reawaken the infection?
advertisement

Comments

• I had MRSA in my first spine surgical site. The 2nd surgery allowed oxygen to activate it again and I ended up with a chunk of necrotic(dead) tissue and a PICC line for daily IV antibiotics for weeks.

After we realized this was a problem, the dr. took additional precautions. You always get antibiotics in surgery, hopefully within 30 min of the first cut(before or during.) He added additional to the standard antibiotic. I also took oral pills after. I had several spine surgeries after(including spinal cord stim) and never had it flare up again.

Don't know about your particular situation, but I would think as long as your dr. is aware he may very well be able to prevent it. Good luck!
  • Hi All,

I thought I'd follow up on my own post.

I've seen several surgeons lately that have given me mixed reviews regarding this topic.

The synthesis of their responses is this:

1. You are more susceptable to catching the same thing again.

2. You can't really have antibiotics in advance because that just kills off all the minor things allowing anything 'hard core' to take over and spread.

3. Knowledge is power- i.e. surgeons who know about this reaction last time will be more vigilant in watching for it again. They may also take samples at the end of surgery for cultures JIC.

4. It is unlikely that cutting into spine will 'reawaken' Pseudomonas.

Just thought I'd fill you all in on my findings!
  • What does your infectious disease doctor say about this?
  • I've not had any reason to return to my infectious disease doctor, so I have no idea what his continued opinion is?

Originally he informed me of case studies based on a lot of Vietnam era soldiers who had Pseudomonas come back once they were hit in that area - effectively waking it back up.

But... as is the normal problem with case studies I'm not a Vietnam soldier nor have I had exposure to Agent Orange.

Sorry, this is less than helpful.
advertisement