Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic Compression Fracture Woes

jmhar68jjmhar68 Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

My name is John, I am a 43 year old male suffering from a T5 compression fracture and this is my first post.

My T5 vertebrae was compressed 75% in a vehicle accident just about 4 months ago. My doctor treated it with pain meds, bed rest and a hard tortoise shell like back brace. Though I got better, I evened out at a point where I still have constant pain. If I do not regulate it with pain meds (currently 10mg of oxycodone) the pain level in that area as well as my shoulder blades increases to a point I have no choice but to medicate and lay down. After an overnight sleep, the pain is almost completely gone. However, moving around and especially sitting for a couple of hours brings the pain back on. I typically cannot make it past 11am before I am reaching for the pain meds.

In addition to the T5 compression fracture, my neurosurgeon has diagnosed a 20 degree kyphosis that is a direct result of this fracture. I can actually see a slight hump when looking at myself from the side. It seems like if I keep my head up/good posture I have less pain. But any slight bending forward eventually causes pain to increase to a level narcotics are needed. On the pain level, I would say it gets to about level 6-7 tops. I consider level 10 to be like kidney stone pain, etc.

I have questions concerning the current direction I am headed. I actually have either anterior corpectomy with fusion or posterior fusion with or without kyphoplasty surgery scheduled in two days. My neurosurgeon has not decided on which one yet. I have a few questions and was hoping someone here with the same or similar experience could share with me?

1. With a compression fracture of 75%, is it reasonable to expect not to have constant pain 110 days after the injury?

2. Do severe compression fractures take longer to heal/pain to go away?

3. Does severe compression fracture pain ever go away without surgical intervention?

4. With such a severe compression fracture, am I now in a compromised state that would lead to further problems if left alone/not fused?

From what I can tell, the kyphosis is what is causing the pain. If I wear my back brace, the pain level is much much lower. However, this seems to be only a temporary workaround . I would probably wait just a little longer but my employment, short term disability and insurance are real concerns. I could be out of a job in 6-9 months so this is playing a larger role in my decision than I would like it to be. That's life though. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me? I don't want to necessarily jump the gun and do surgery too soon, but it is starting to look like for one reason or another, this is inevitable?

Thanks so much!

• Since the time is soon for your surgery I would always ask for a second opinion by a surgeon.

I wish someone with a similar issue could let you know what happened to them before your surgery but since spine surgery is pretty serious I would get a second opinion from a Professional board certified Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dertyd702ddertyd702 Las Vegas,NVPosts: 1
    Hello, I am sorry to bring up this old post but I had an atv accident roughly one month after you had your accident in which case I am sorry to hear I practically had the same injuries as yours I am always in constant pain even with meds pain has just increased through the years I am so curios as to what was your decision at the end of the day for a fix and how are you doing with everything now days I  really look forward to hearing from you please if you could lmk if you have the time it is greatly appreciated in advance  thank you