Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Pain Medications
Ok maybe its just me - but does anyone else have a problem when a pharmacy changes the generic brand of a med you receive - and wind up having a GREAT reduction in efficacy?

Now I'll be the first to admit that I am due for a change in my pain meds in general - but at my last refill of MContin - I was provided the Malkinrodt Brand instead of the usual Watson.

I have found that the new brand is MUCH less effective ... the pills themselves had color variations and two of them were actually stuck together.

They typically do this without informing me and it does through a curve in my pain managment regimen.

I have a similar problem with Fentynl with only the Sandoz brand being effective after trying almost every other brand.

Like I said it might just be me, but does anyone else have an issue with this type of occurance??

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I haven't noticed any issues but my mom has that issue with her percocet.

Maybe the pills you got were old or something? They shouldn't be stuck together and varying in color. Maybe you can take the remaining pills back and ask them to exchange for the other brand????
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • hate to tell you but Mallinkrodt (sp) is a much more considered quality made medication. Watson is at the bottom of the gene pool
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    It wasn't Watson it was Rhodes that I had been receiving. I do agree about Watson when it comes to Fentynl Patches .... Last time I used Watson patches ... they were still gel filled!.

I hope it all to be a mute point as after an appeal with my insurance ... I have gotten an Okay to get the Sandoz brand of Fentynl- The Only one that provides me substaintial relief. (Made in the same factory as Duragesic)

The insurance companies original suggestion was to double the amount of my MScontin 360 to 400 mg per day (Why it isn't working anymore) or go to Methadone (which puts me on the moon with talking to myself and other bad side effects).

I wrote them a page an a half letter outlinning the issues I had with their suggetions, and my doctor backed me up completely.

Since when did insurance companies start practicing medicine? ..... Oh thats right I used to work in quality assurance - utilization review for (at the time)one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S..... That was back in 1989 ... one of my jobs was to have doctors explain to me why an MRI was needed instead of a regular cat scan!!.

I guess some things never change.

Gotta love this 3 party relationship - Doctor - Patient - Insurance company!!

Good luck to us all!!

Spine-health Moderator

• tad off subject ;)

I use watsons 98% of the time (they are still gell filled lol ) and the other 2% of the time I use Sandoz or Mylan and have not noticed any difference in my pain. I prefer the last 2 as they are MUCH smaller patches, so I can cut my Tegerderm covers in 1/2 for 1 patch, with watson I have to use the full cover and those covers are not cheap :)

Back to topic - I have been on generic synthroid for my thyroid for over 6 yrs and my counts are still very low even with Dr giving me stronger and stronger doses. Several friends tell me i need to get the name brand.

I do have several friends who say they notice a difference with generic or off brands meds then the bigger name brands. They are not on pain meds, just general meds...
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I've never notice any change with medications, weather they come from Pharma A or B, so like someone else suggested, those pills were maybe old..

Now that you ladies bring up the subject of Fentanyl patches, let me ask you ask you a question. When you mention Watson's, yeah the gel filled ones, what's the difference with gel filled ones and/or others that are not the same, I do not have a lot of knowledge with pharmaceuticals, and now I am curious.. Thanks!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Well I see that you are on the patch already. What kind of questions do you have?

A couple of general things are about two years ago most of the manufacturers of the patches switched from a gell filled pouch (Like Watson still uses) to an impregnated adhesive matrix (like a nico derm patch). The medication is not in a gell in a pouch but is combined with the adhesive.

One of the reason for the change was that some of the pouches "leaked" and caused so overdoses of the medication.

Because of this potential almost all manufacturers have now changed to the adhesive matrix formula.

I have actually found the new typ of patch better than the old pouch type. But then I am hypersensitive to changes in meds and delivery methods.

It is also not uncommon to have a day three syndrome in which the efficacy of the patch seems to poop out prior to its switch times.

Read the patient warning insert as there are many situations that this type of med could cause problems such as having one under the waterline in a hot tub - or placing a patch on irritated or broken skin.

It is not unusual to have the patch cause a rash under the patch and also to cause localized itching.

Any other specific questions about the patches ... I will be happy to share my experience(s)

Oh ... I am NOT a lady .... Heck I struggle to be a gentleman!!

Spine-health Moderator