Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

do i need a fusion?

tracythomp5ttracythomp5 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello, ive had 2 private microdiscectiomies through the same scar in 2007 and 2008 which also found a piece of bone in my sciatic nerve. I have had a few episodes of back pain lasting a few weeks since then but after a while they improve and I normal again.Im a cook so very active. My last was at the end of oct 2011, but since xmas I have suffered from severe nerve pain ,no back pain except on the scar area,which the gp cant answer but gives me pain killers and now amitriptyline which I think helps. Going back to my private hospital tomorrow but a different surgeon as cant carry on like this. I have been previously told I have degenertive disc disease and will need a fusion if this happens again which it has now. Does this seem the right thing to do?

• i am 3 weeks post op ALIF 2 LEVEL .that's where they go in through the front.but i don't know your full history .ADR/FUSION is considered last resort on spinal surgery .i was at a stage where all i could do is lay on my recliner and take pain killers ,my life had effectively ended .i am 45 ! so we felt like we had no choice.in fact the consultant that said he would operation said that he would only do so if the disc above was sound .so i needed a discography {a painful procedure in its self} if you go for a fusion insist on a discography ..many have had a fusion only to find that the disc above wasn't strong enough to hold the metalwork and problems have occurred .a good consultant will do a discography automatically as part of his health screening .please don't see a fusion a a quick fix .its about as big as it gets and recover is very long a slow .contact me if you want any more information.last bit of advice .if you can still work/walk/shop/clean your home/have some social life /sex life/drive..then i would say you should leave fusions for another time and stick to conservative measures..i am back home now and my wife has to part shower me and even has to help me clean myself after going to the loo ! are you ready for that?.some people are more resilient than me but even the very young and fit can get caught out with just how difficult this procedure is .as for sleeping i had an electrical adjustable bed .and even that is hard to get comfy in and i end up down on my recliner at a about 4 am .but its early days for me so i can't tell you if its been a success yet .the bone graft was taken from my left hip and that hurts like hell too if you want any more info contact me
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Private discectomy? Private hospital? Is this some Euoropean thing vs your national health care?

Anyway. If you are saying you had a discectomy on the SAME disc twice, 1 year apart. Then most likely a surgeon will not want to do it a 3rd time. The 2nd time has reduced odds of working, the 3rd time is more or less pointless if you only lasted a year.

Your problem isn't really clear and neither is your description of what has been done beside the surgery. What tests have been run? If you have a 2nd surgeon does he agree with the first one? 2 opinions would be good before you elect fusion.

Please ignore backache99, he's an idiot.
  • If its the same level as the previous surgery and too much of the disc has been removed and they cant save the disc then fusion might be recomended,

Or they might be able to get it off the nerve if thats the case, Many do ok with fusion but it can be a long recovery,

Just do the least invasive procedures and all alternative treatments if dr,s think that might help, Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,