Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just found out I need discectomy

rgkainrrgkain Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
Yep a bit depressed. Just found out I need surgery. Otherwsise what I thougth was a healthy 55yo married male, I went down 9 days ago hard with what is now diagnosed as herniated lumbar disc. Had MRI last Fri, and surgery is best option, recommended by two general practioners, due to severity. I'm waiting now on the scheduling process for appointment with Neurosurgen.

Any words or siwdom for someone in my shoes?

• Try all conservative methods before getting surgery. Surgery isn't a quick fix.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • HI,
    You are still a healthy married man....with a back injury....I think when you see the neurosurgeon, alot of your questions will be answered. And when/if you have surgery, the best thing for you to know is about BLT - no, not the sandwich...it's for no bending, no lifting and no twisting. Healing could take a while, but if you're otherwise healthy, and your doctor feels surgery is necessary, you may lose a bit of mobility and you will have a weight limit as far as picking anything up goes...but hopefully, all will turn out fine. Good luck and I hope the dr has a plan of action for you! Feel better!
  • First, welcome.

Second, get a 2nd opinion. Not saying surgery isn't right but just get another opinion for your own sanity. Ask each doctor, why not try more conservative (like PT, Steroids, Steroidal injection) and what's the harm in waiting a couple of weeks to try these alternatives.

But, from someone who sounds like I wore your shoes, I do have words of wisdom (well, words...)
    I ruptured a disc, ended up in ER, whatever hurt, went numb upon medication being given and I was told surgery was the only option and I shouldn't wait).

- Surgery is a personal decision
    - Ask your surgeon how he will know if the surgery worked or failed. If the surgery doesn't work, ask what he looks for (this is key to make sure he is treating you as a patient and not a quick 'win')
    - Ask specifically how you will feel afterward - best and worst
    - Get a gripper ($12 device to help you pick up silly things you drop).
    - Do not bend, twist, lift
    - if it is your lower back, avoid recliner's b/c they really do not offer support
    - For the first 2-4 weeks post op, save your 'sitting' to meals only.
    - walk after the surgery...not alot but in 10 min increments several times a day. It keeps scar tissue off the nerve
    - drink lots of water, especially post op...it helps get your system moving (they'll likely suggest colace too)
    - Try not to be in a car for 2- weeks except to go to post-op appointment. The car jostles you.

The surgery itself was not too bad.
    I had a microdiscectomy (twice) and they use a smaller incision. Ask if the procedure is micro or regular and ask why the doctor is chosing one over the other. There are pros/cons to both...neither is better or worse, just good to understand.

• thanks. Actually, I meet with a surgeon for the first time Thurs, so officially I dont have the first opinion yet. I do have the opinion of two general practictioners familiar with this condition and after reviewing my MRI they seem to think surgery is inevitable.
  • good luck to you , have a good mood before operation.