Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Remove hardware completely or 2nd opinion 2 surgeries to attempt fusion

katie leekkatie lee Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had scoli surgery T-1 to T-12 14 1/2 months ago. I have severe pain and every day all of the time. I had 1 surgeon tell me I specifically dont have fusion near the top at 2 levels and the bottom at 3 levels based on a CT. He recommends 2 seperate surgeries to attempt fusion again, one at the top and one at the bottom-spread out of course over time. Said they would be a few hours each and I would be in the hospital 2-3 days.He said he could remove the 2 crosslinks-one is at the top and 1 is at the bottom, but the rods, screws and hooks cannot be removed. He said I will need Forteo injections everyday for months before the surgery, I would need BMP Infusion into spine in the surgeries, and also I would need to have an implanted bone growth stimulator because he says I have Osteoperosis.
2nd opinion, this surgeon says CT cannot tell if there is truly NOT bone fusion in the areas that "appear" unfused. He said he CAN remove all the hardware, no concern at all about spinal stability even if there isnt fusion at the top and bottom, and he would not use anything to fuse anything. Said surgery would take 1-2 hours and I would go home the next day. He said he does not need any MRIs and I only have Osteopenia, not Osteoperosis.No concerns at all about fusion, getting fusion or if I can support myself ithout the hardware..
How can I possibly make a decision with 2 so opposite opinions? I'm so confused. Others out there who HAVE had there hardware all removed that did and that didnt have complete bone fusion, please repond. I would really appreciate hearing your stories, how are you doing. Advice is also very much welcomed.