Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sacroiliac joint dysfunction

dakota1917ddakota1917 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:59 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I was just diagnose with above. This s following a 360 back surgery last May. I have been in terrible pain since then and was just diagnosed today and had a shot.
Has any recovered from this? How long does the recovery take? What other procedures do to you have go through? Does it ever end/heal? I was so close to finishing healing from major surgery in May and MRSA from most of last year. Only to come up with something else!

Any advice out there?
advertisement

Comments

• This pain can be very hard to deal with, I havent had surgery, but I have been dealing with very limited lower back range of motion for years due to back pain. This limited movement in my back has translated into si joint issues..

This past spring and summer my si joint was getting so bad I was not able to walk much at all and almost not able to sit in a car due to it. It wasnt until I was diagnosed properly and got the si joint injection that the pain was significantly reduced. I hope that your outcome from the injection is as good as mine.

A good PT is a good way to go as long as your surgeon as approved this route. It has taken me years, but I have finally found a great PT and she has been a life savor for me. With si joint issues the key is to gain strength and flexibility in order to take the stress off the si joint. Due to your fusion obviously your lumbar spine is not going to flex, but they can work on your hip, pelvis and legs to address the problem.

There are surgical routes to go and prolotherapy, but unless PT has failed these are not routes you want to go. I wish you the best and please keep us informed.....Mitch
  • It is possible to develop SIJ dysfunction months to years after a solid 360 fusion incorporating L5-S1 and even L4-5. The thought process here is adjacent stress from the fusion onto the SIJ. SIJ dysfunction is diagnosed through a history and physical exam. The best method of obtaining the diagnosis is through a diagnostic sacroiliac joint injection under xray guidance. Contrast should be used to confirm needle placement and an anesthetic should only be injected for diagnostic injections. Here we are looking for at least a 75 percent reduction your current painful symptoms with activities that increase it. If this is positive then it should be repeated on a separate visit. If positive then typically a steroid injection with a therapy program is the initial step. Hope this helps.
    Amish R Patel DO, MPH