Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Spinal Cord Surgery Operation

moagimmmoagim Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all, I'll start off by introducing myself, my name is Martin, 26 years old and am from Australia.

I've always been an active and sporty person, played soccer since I could start walking and done martial arts from a very young age (Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai) and Boxing.

About 5 - 6 months ago, four days after a 3 hour session at the gym, I go home start feeling a sense of paresthesia in both my legs, which I thought was weird and ignored for 2 days, it then started affecting the bottom part of my chest, back and went all the way down to my toes.

For 3 months, after visiting neurologists, physiotherapists, traditional chinese doctors - I'm told I have absolutely nothing, the closest I get to a response from a neurologist is I have disc degenerative disease and that due to trauma I could have experienced a spinal concussion and therefore causing the paresthesia. The solution? Time..

The only problem was, this paresthesia kept getting worse, and at the time I didn't know but knowing my symptoms I should have been asked for an MRI scan which covered my cervical spine, not lumbar and dorsal/thoracic like the one's I had been told to get, or the useless lumbar x-rays one doctor had me get.

-----

I Finally come across a real neurosurgeon, who tells me to get an MRI of my entire thoracic and cervical area, and they discover an ependymal cyst going from my C7 down to my T3 which they said looked benign and were right.

So after 5 months, exactly 3 weeks ago I finally get my operation done, and it's a success. Even though I woke up and my left arm was all floppy and couldn't feel a thing with it, or control it, I later find out it was due to them tying me up so hard for the lengthy 8 hour operation which caused my circulation to be cut off and therefore nerves being hurt on my left arm, unnecessarily. But I got all that sensation back in 4 days and my arm is almost normal again.

All in all, I have to be happy because the risk was high, as I'm told I could have ended up quadriplegic because of the location the cyst chose to come out at and because it was occupying my entire spinal canal's width.

-----

The paresthesia on my stomach, back, and C8 area of the arm disappeared, any pain I have is almost reduced to 0 (was on codeine 60mg + paracetamol 300mg) every 6 hours plus diclofenac 50mg and paracetamol 300mg every 8 hours but I have a mild feeling of paresthesia still on my left leg and a strangely increasing sensation of paresthesia on my right leg.

Sorry for the long and detailed post but my question is, should I be worried about the paresthesia which is seemingly mildly increasing on my right leg or can it be due to my back being so sensitive and any pressure I am putting on it whilst I lie down on my bed be causing it?

I know the only real way to know will be to get another MRI scan when I'm healthy enough to sit still in those noisy machines again to see how it all came out but I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this or anything similar.

Thanks!
advertisement