Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any options to cervical spinal fusion surgery??

LaramisLLaramis Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Are there any options to cervical spinal fusion surgery for compressed spinal cord? I've been having numbness, tingling, weakness & often excruciating burning pain in my hands that goes up my arms into my shoulders. Had an MrI & my neurosurgeon told me I had to have a spinal fusion surgery done because my spinal cord is being compressed. I was told I have cervical spondylosis & stenosis w/spinal cord impingement at c5/6. Scarey!! My chiropractor brother-in-law says low impact chiropractic adjustments is what I should do as a conservative treatment before surgery, which should be the last option. However the neurosurgeon says that chiropractics would be dangerous w/the stenosis. I believe it could cause paralysis...?? What do I do?? I really do not want to have to have this surgery!! But I am really afraid to go for the chiro adjustments... Can anyone give me their opinion...PLEASE!!

• Personally I did not have chiropractic care. I don't think it is safe when the spinal cord is being compressed. Just my opinion.

There are conservative treatments you should try like physical therapy and injections. Also get a second opinion.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Lar - you have 2 threads going for this question ;)

I responded over at your other one :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thank you for your reply! It seems as though you are among many to tell me not to do chiro....actually everyone that has responded has said the same! So I think I need to rule that one out of my care plan! I'm trying to get into Mayo Clinic (Long wait!) for my 2nd opinion (I also have some sort of autoimmune disorder going on...joint pain, weakness, bloodwork indicators, etc,... I think that I read somewhere there may be a connection.) From your pic it appears as if you had the fusion done...? Did it not 'fuse'?
  • I don't know what your MRI looks like so I can't tell how severe the compression of your spinal cord is.

And I'm not trying to scare you with my story but I will tell it anyway. I have been born with a too narrow spinal canal which caused my problems. But I was doing sports 5 days a week, had no problems or indications but woke up one day with lots of tingling in my hands and walked with a limp with my right leg.

I talked 3 times to my GP and after a few months I was send to a neurologist and had an MRI done. On the MRI they found out I had severe stenosis with spinal cord compression on 3 levels and already signs of spinal cord bruising.

I had decompression surgery within a few weeks (no fusion). My canal is still very narrow and for that I'm having another second opinion. But the spinal cord injury is permanent.

So like I said, I don't know how severe your compression is, but take this really serious as your surgeon already said. Hopefully you will get your second opinion fast and not end up with permanent spinal cord damage.