Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

30 yrs of sciatica

MaryRayMMaryRay Posts: 12
I'll try to be brief. I started suffering with sciatica shortly after the birth of my oldest child 31 years ago. I went years without ever discussing it with the doctors until I couldn't take it anymore. I had my first MRI ten or twelve years ago, but there was nothing in my back. I had no back pain so that was no surprise. Four years ago, I had another MRI, and nothing. That time I was disappointed because I want so badly to know why, but after reading some of these nightmare stories about the back, I'm relieved.I had an EMG at that time, and it showed I have significant nerve damage in my bad leg. Also, I have no plantar reflex, but my knee reflex test almost brought me off the exam table. My left leg is shorter than my right, and I have less muscle mass. I suppose that could be from putting very little weight on my bad leg. I wouldn't know because the doctor has never bothered looking at it, and he totally discounted the bad leg being shorter. I have been on 3,000 mg of gabapentin and 100 mg of Nortriptyline a day, and that's great for relaxing me enough to sleep at night, but the pain is still excruciating and unrelenting. The last time I went to the doctor I was at wits end, and didn't even try to be the good little girl who doesn't complain. I have reached my limit. I truly can't take it anymore. Also, in the last couple of months my back has started hurting, which, as I said earlier is a new symptom. On top of it, the doctor thinks I have a torn rotator cuff. That happened after one of my many falls because I always catch my bad leg on rugs, vacuum clean cords, you name it because I practically drag it.I had another MRI the other day, but I haven't heard from the doctor. I already know he's going to say it's nothing, here's some more gabapentin. Please tell me why I feel my doctor doesn't get it. I'm not a complainer or a hypochondriac. I am most definitely not a drug seeker. Pain pills don't even help. After my fouth c-section, I remember commenting to my husband that I couldn't even tell I had just had a baby at the age of 43, but I sure as hell knew I had sciatic pain. And that child God blessed us with twelve years ago deserves more than what I am giving him. If anyone has any insight into what the root cause of this is, please, please tell me before I go stark raving mad.

• how about trying another doctor.
  • Hey Nick, that's just what I had planned on doing, and hinted to that the other day. He finally told me what I have known all along. He said my sciatica is no secret. He said I had herniated a disc or two years ago, and it was never treated, and it ended up damaging my nerve. No doubt it happened with my first pregancy. The last month of my pregancy I could hardly walk. I was in agony, but my ob-gyn said
    it was all a part of it. Well, I had never had a baby. It sounded good to me. Oh, to turn back the clock. I asked the doctor was was next, and he is going to implant a nerve stimulator. Please, please pray it will work. It has to work.