Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For people living with Depression, then fusion

tinyterrorttinyterror Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Depression and Coping
Hey all!
I am a receiver of the Depression gene from my family of origin. I was diagnosed in 1994 and overcame the horrible "mind-games" by some meds, affirmations, counseling, and an active lifestyle that including sports and working out.

I had spinal fusion (a big one) in December of 2010 and am in the 8th week post-op. I am going nuts!!!

All you ADD/hyper/active folks and Depression sufferers please list how you deal with life on life's terms in this long recovery process. I can't even walk my dog right now - sniff. :S

• Tinyterror:

Welcome to the Forum. Initiation sucks, as you have experienced!

I can't address your question, as asked. But I can tell you that depression after surgey is absolutely normal. In fact, I really believe that regardless of the surgery we all suffer from some depression after surgery. Obviously, the more significant the surgery and its impact on us physically, then the resulting depression will be greater.

I truly believe that there are only two other surgeries more psychologically significant than spinal - heart and brain. Those three (spine, heart, brain) compose our core. Mess with them and our system gets unbalanced.

I would recommend that you read all pertinent threads that have a similar theme in the other categories on this forum. There are several which touch on this topic. There are so many on this list who have faced challenges and multiple challenges associated with spinal issues, including depression. Remain patient, someone who has walked your path will respond with applicable advice.

Again, welcome to the list. Sorry you had to pass the initiation.
  • You have survived depression and I salute your and others resilience, if you have done that, then you are capable of coping with this current restriction, going from an active individual to immobility is a big imposed change for anyone. You have been to the bottom and now on the way upwards, utilise the skills learned from depression to set goals and objective, concentrate on what you can do however small, not what you cannot.

Having pain means we are more reliant on others, what can we do for ourselves.
    Use that steely determinate that you have to set new achievements, measure your success in comparison to what you have achieved, the new you is still capable of great things, you have to believe that yourself. You are working logically through each progression, chronic pain is a marathon and not a sprint, the cane things is an asset, you have taken control of a challenging event and doing what is necessary to improve.

Many people here are doing exactly what you are; we all need help, support and encouragement. I had a spinal fusion in 1990, and was clinically depressed, I know how that feels, my future is ahead of me →

Do what is needed to get better, be kind to yourself and try something new every day.

Take care. John