Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with meds.......

Morgan26MMorgan26 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all. If anyone can offer some advice and/or insight I would greatly appreciate it! I am 2 years post ACDF C6-C7 with partial corpectomy. I have good days and bad days, but lately bad days have been winning. I am extremely anti meds!!!!! I will take a pain pill when very much at the end of my rope, have been precribed...gaba, lyrica and skelaxin among others. Currently I have started a regimine of 25mg Lyrica/4x day. I am only up to 3/day and am not liking the way I feel and am not experiencing ANY relief. If anything my neck hurts more and the nerve pain in my arms is more localized and stronger. How long should I give it???? I am in tears. I am truly SICK of being in pain and having my life changed due to my circumstances!!!!!
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,617
    Are you more sick of the meds? - or sick of the pain.

If this newer med is making you sick, you should immeditely discuss this with your doctor. Certain meds can have negitive efffects and need to be discontinued.

I am anti-meds also .... but I am MUCH MORE anti pain .. after what many of our necks have been through ... the correct mix of medication - rest - physical therapy becomes a needed way of life ...

Hard to swim up a waterfall. The meds you have mentioned are all lower strength - you may need something stronger.

Have they confirmed that you have fused? ... Have you had a recent MRI to see of there is anything new going on? All things to consider and discuss with your doc. For me when the meds aren't hackin it .. I wrap a heating pad around my neck and use a soft collar to hold it in place.

PLEASE ... check in with you doctor ASAP.

Warmest regards,

d
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • Couldn't agree more, Metalneck! It just comes down to getting relief from the pain for me too. I am on more meds now than I have ever been, but I cannot stand this pain. At least the drugs do give some periods of relief. If one med or combination doesn't work for whatever reason, keep trying 'til the dr's get you some relief. Double edge sword for me. Don't like the narcotics but hate pain more.

Rassy

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Thanks for the advice. You are right, pain is worse. I am on cyclo and take pain killers as necessary. I have also started physical therapy. Hoping this helps take away the bad days. :)
  • Hi There Morgan26,

I understand your situation. Flghting chronic cervical pain for about 6 years now, culminating from DDD, arthritis, bone spur removal and 2 level fusion at C5-6 & C6-7 in July 2009. In between surgeries have had to seek pain relief from narcotic drugs and muscle relaxers. I have been back to pain management now going on 3 year, going through their regiment of treatments while taking the meds. The only other thing I have found that gives me relief are ice packs to my neck. Try this and see if it helps. Hang in there. Lot of us feel the same and will listen! Lots of nice people on this site. Glad I found it. Keep us posted. God Bless.
    Rassy

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
advertisement