Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post acdf problems

gramato3ggramato3 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had 4 level acdf surgery on August 25, 2011. Have been seeing the neurologist every 6 weeks. Accordiing to all the x-rays I am fusing nice and straight and it all looks good. BUT I am definately having a problem. If I sweep or mop the floor, if I do some laundry, take a long ride, get groceries. spend the whole next day in bed. The pain across my shoulders, down my spine, and both little fingers are numb. I am up most of the night, cannot sleep. And I in intense discomfort. He prescribed skelaxen, and voltaren. I cannot keep the voltaren down. Several years ago, I shattered my left ankle and had titanium plates and screws , they had to remove them because of a reaction, which I forgot all about until I saw them in a jar in the closet the other day. Is it possible that I am having a reaction to the titanium? I break out in a heavy sweat that smells like metal, and no one else can smell it, but it is so strong that it makes me sick to my stomach. the very lst thing that I want is more surgery, but I cannot keep having this reaction,or is there something else that they can do. I heard of a MELISA blood test that will tell if I am allergic,but then what? I thought that if the surgery was a success, which he says it is, I would be past this pain and numbness, if I do anything in any way taxing? I pay for it the whole next day. Any suggestions????Thank you

• If you were allergic to the titanium the last time, you may be having a problem with it again. Have you mentioned that to your surgeon or other doctor?

Do you think the Skelaxin helps?

Once you are fused the hardware is not necessary any more and can be removed. Also, some people get fusions done without instrumentation, however they need to wear collars and braces a lot longer because the hardware acts as an internal cast.

I hope you get this figured out, you sound like me before surgery. Is your pain worse now than before surgery?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• If you have experienced a titanium allergy before, then I would imagine it is highly possible that this is causing a problem again.

An allergic reaction could well cause inflamation which could cause pressure on nerves which in turn could be causing your symptoms.

I would say that you need to contact your surgeon and tell him about your allergy to titanium in the past and how the hardware had to be removed.

Once you are fused, the hardware is no longer needed and can be removed. Although another surgery would not be your first choice, it may be the way to sort out your pain and problems.

I have heard that surgery to remove hardware is not as bad as the surgery to put it in, and the recovery is quicker.

I do wish you luck. Please do let us know what they decide to do.