Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

denisecortelliddenisecortelli Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Spinal Stenosis
PLEASE HELP-I have been in pain for 2 years-have had 2 MRI's/ shows the folowing- hemangiomasin the T12 and L1 vertebral bodies. at L1-L2 & L2-L3 there are mild facet degenerative changes. L3-L4 there is moderate facet arthropathy , L4-L5 there is mild disc bulge with left intraforaminal component & moderate bilateral facet arthropathy which result in interval worsening with moderate left neuroforaminal stenosis & mild right neuroforaminal stenosis.
at L5-S1 there is disc bulge & bilateral facet arthropathy which result in worsened moderate left and severe right neuroforaminal stenosis. The endplate changes at this level also worsened-multilevel degenarative changes of lumbar spine with interval worsening of neuroforaminal stenosis at L4-5 and L5-S1

...please advise i have begged for help have tried everything i know...tens unit, epidural injection, nerve block done once and doctor at henry ford wont do again saying relief was not significant amount of time because it only lasted 4 weeks instead of 6 months as projected. Pain is getting worse and wakes me out of my sleep.

• Hi Denise,
    I'm sorry your having such trouble. It is scary. I had a lami-discectomy on L5 S1 in 2009 and was doing better but now as tome went on I now have bulging discs @L4 L5 facet arthropathy and DDD but the worse to me is the bi-lateral foraminal stenosis as that is causing me to have a compressed nerve and/or nerves. I had MRI back in Oct. and have progressively become worse with pain and numbness radiating down my arm and hand on the right side. Also have the sciatica on R leg.

I see where you have bi-lateral facet arthropathy and mild bulge at L4 L5 that is what my MRI report reads, as well as the bi-lateral foraminal stenosis. I so feel for you. I have used the TENS so much it has seared sores into my back. Using creams, ice/heat. Have been using meds for pain and soma for muscle spasms and started klonopin for "nerve pain. I haven't been back to my Surgeon though, I just have been seeing my GP and he treats me. I also was diagnosed with Addison's disease a year a half after back surgery. It is a rare endocrine disorder and is life-threatening if I do not take my medicine to replace the hormone "cortisol" produced by the adrenal gland. So it is a "steroid" and I have to take it 3x a day as well as BP meds and thyroid as it messed all that up, have been in ER 11x in past 14 mos. for "adrenal crisis" it is so scary and only 1/100,000 are DX annually. So some ER Doctors are not all that familiar so creeps me out even more.

Then on top of that I have to deal with my back again. I nee to see my Surgeon and let him see MRI and go from there. Bet he will recommend a Lami-foraminotomy as my nerves are being "compressed" and nothing helps. I cannot sleep either and I need rest for my other illness, it is all-consuming. Problem is people with Adrenal Insufficiency/Addison's disease are not recommended to have surgery because the amount of anesthesia and steroid is very dicy as I will require tons of steroids. That is why I have been putting it off.

Oh my epidural didn't take either and I had 2 at same time and I was awake as the demerol didn't kick in so it was "traumatic" to say the least.

Please get some help and if any questions PM me or write back. So sorry your facing such a difficult time with no relief. I will say a prayer for sweetie.

Keep me posted I am new on here as of today and saw your HELP ME and felt so bad and can relate so much.

• Have you seen more than one Orthosurgeon or Neurosurgeon for their opinion and treatment plan for you? I noticed you have severe in one of your reports so the Surgeon may give you some options there depending on your symptoms.

Do you have a good Pain Management Dr? I've been to 3 Pain Management Drs at clinics and now wise enough to go to a specialty spine pain management center for treatment after 4 years of back pain. I have mild DDD and facet joint arthropy and prominent facets and mild narrowing but so far there is no surgery set for me so just have to manage the pain for me anyway.

If there's a good spine hospital center close to you go there and get treatment. I saw a Physiatrist at the Cleveland Clinic and they did all kind of tests and referrals for me so you may want to see a Physiatrist who will help with exercise or referral to Neurosurgery or Neurosurgeon. We're here to support you through this. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • In 2005 I had disk protrusion plus left side sciatica, actually I could move only on my knees because of pain, a doctor suggested me an operation(they tell it in 99%) and pain killer injections...

I spent some time and found old method(invented in France 50 years ago)for treatment

It took about 1.5 weeks for major relief and 3 months for full recovery

For treatment I used gum turpentine baths, so called Zalmanov baths or Zalmanov method

I hope this info will help you, all the best