Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrating pain Dr appointment

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Chronic Pain
I walked into the pain clinic today and about fell thru the floor. Not one seat available, people standing everywhere. Totally out of character for this office. Grumpy people everywhere. Just not my normal visit. I finally get called back for my appointment. Drug screen again, no problem, never is for me. Then comes the fun part. The NP walks into the room and tells me they are not going to fill my opana because I am ahead on my meds. I get my script filled on the 6th every month. Never before or after. The 6th of every month. I told her yes I did just fill my script on the 6th because that is the day of the month that it is due. She demands to know how I got ahead. I tried to explain to her that my appointment in the pain clinic is every 27 days. So They give me scripts every 27 days. After being a patient for over a year yes I am ahead almost a month. I told her I understood not refilling the Opana if they want me to get back on track but here is where I have the problem.She scheduled my next appointment for March 7th to get me back on track. So I asked her if she was going to write a script for one day because if I come in on the 7th Ill be out. She actually screamed at the top of her lungs she wasnt filling the script period. I was speechless. I mean yelled very loudly. So loud a medical assistant came in.The Np storms out of the room and the MA after finding out what the issue was told me to call the office and they would see that I received a script for 2 pills. She tells me to go to the waiting room and they will be bring out the rest of the scripts to me after the Dr signs them. Here comes the NP again opens the door and says Susan we wont be filling your meds at all, you have Vicodin in your system ( this is in front of the whole waiting room) My response to that was Ummm yes I do, your Dr told me to take them in place of the percocet when I had a abcessed tooth earlier in the month, You obviously did not read my file. She slams the door. 10 minutes later here comes the MA with my scripts minus the Opana. I realize we all have bad days but this was over the top. I changed my next appointment with the DR only. I refuse to see a NP again. I havve my pain pump trial the 22nd and I pray it works for me because I am so tired of jumping thru hoops for this place.

• Sounds like the NP needs a new career. No need to treat anyone at all like that. This is so very sad.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • You are very, very, patient! I don't know how people manage to keep quiet when they are treated so disrespectfully and rudely! That is embarrassing for them to act like that and to say that to you in front of other patients rather than privately! I would be sending the doctor a note in the mail because perhaps he doesn't even know she treats his patients so rudely. That is insane! You are a much better person than I and obviously much more in control - I know how I would have responded to that and it wouldn't have been nearly as nice! Hopefully this honery jerk does remember she is going to write a script for 2 pills before your next visit then! By the way - may I ask how long you have been on Opana and how you like it, what strength do you take, and how many hours does it seem to last for you? I recently started it (2 months ago) and it seems ok, but depending on days when the weather is bad, the pain spikes thru anyway. I take the 15ml twice a day and some days it works just fine, but other days it just doesn't seem too. What are your experiences with it if you don't mind me asking?
    Thanks - Marion
  • First of all, yes she most certainly violated the HIPAA law which is all about patient privacy. I'm a nurse and this is one thing that is drilled into everyone's head the moment they are employed by the health system. So when you write that nasty letter to the doctor, be sure and quote the violation. Just google HIPAA and you'll find all kinds of stuff on it.

Here's one link that explains it: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/index.html

And here's information on filing a complaint: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/complaints/index.html

Worst case scenario for the pain clinic is that they have to undergo a formal compliance review and if they find that your complaint is valid, they can slap the clinic with an $11,000 fine. I would be willing to bet that the NP straightens up her act real quick if her employer suddenly gets the heat turned up on them because of her bad behavior. There is also a rule that prevents retaliation on you should you file a complaint.

Now onto what happened....that really stinks. It's not fair and I'm so sick and tired of people with legitimate pain issues being treated as common junkies on the street. Problem is, the junkies are what has caused the situation to get as bad as it is for real pain patients.

Hang in there. :)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I think the only reason I didnt blow up was because she left me speechless. I work in the healthcare field and I was floored by her behavior. I see the main Dr the 22nd when I have my pain pump trial and I will discuss the issue with him then. This NP is also the same person that scheduled a MRI for me and ordered the wrong test. She ordered a thoracic and I needed a cervical. That ended up costing me a 1000. deductible. I can guarantee I will never be scheduled with her again. Mouse as far as the Opana goes, I do or should I say I did very well with it. I take 20mg twice a day with oxycodone up to 3x for break-thru pain, The Opana seems to work for about 10hrs for me. Ive been on this dose now for about a year and it is starting to not work as well, instead of upping my meds we decided to give the pain pump a try. I am scheduled for a trial on the 22nd. I pray it works for me. My pain lately has been thru the roof. I dont know if it is the weather or what but it sure has been kicking my butt. Ive been trying to work full time and stay productive but if the pump doesnt work for me Im afraid I am going to have to make some changes.
  • Hi Susan :wave:

WOW!!!!!!!! unreal!!! I am so sorry you went through all this :(

I just got done making a long post about how horrible our PC are around here (state of Pa).

Is this same PC going to be the ones who do your pain Pump?

If you don't mind when you are ready to do your PP trial would you please make a thread and update it so others can follow you?

I think Pat is the only one who has a PP thread going. It has a TON of info in it and is very very helpful.

I know I and I am sure others would benefit from following someone through all the stages of a PP. :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I am so sorry to hear you were treated so rudly.
    But on the other hand I was thrilled to hear you are soon having your pump trial. I too pray it works for you.
    Chances are very good that it will. And please do keep us updated. I believe MsHD has a great idea to start your own thread. There are plenty of people here would like to learn more about them.

Patsy W
  • Wow that's some nasty NP I wonder if they should do a drug screen on her? Sounds like she didn't even read your file about the Vicodan or she wouldn't have done that and even so to say it out loud to the whole room.

I know you can choose not to see her again and it's for the best to see the Dr. next time. I'm sure it isn't the first time she's been like this. I hope the SCS works for you and keep us posted about the trial. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Like I said my trial is the 22nd at 10;30. I was told not to take any pain meds 48hrs prior to the trial. Ill be a mess and am not looking forward to that at all. I went ahead and scheduled a vacation for that week at work because with no pain meds I am really going to struggle. The hospital were it will be done had sent a message to my Dr to see if we can change the 48hrs to 24 hrs. That would be more manageable for me. Ill make a thread as post as I go to let everyone know of my journey.
  • Well i would of told the NP. Listen you biatch you worried about me having vicodine in my system when i am having a morphine pain pump trial here soon ?then you need your head looked at,

Pain pump is saved for severe pain cases which confirms to most that pain medication oraly is not doing the job so even having the extra vicodine in your system is no big deal,

I think that would of shut her up because she would of looked like a fool in front of all the other people in the room,

I had the pain pump trial myself but i had spinal leak for 7 days of the trial without a blood patch that should of been done to stop the leak,

Best of luck with your trial, And if by some chance you feel you have leak as i did with bad migrain make sure they do something about it right away so you can get the full affect of the trial as it was ment to be,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am speechless reading your post! Like someone else mentioned, she clearly violated HIPAA by talking about your meds and case in front of every single patient that was there, so if I was you I would do something about it. Yes, everyone has bad days, but NO ONE has the right to treat a patient badly, you are in chronic pain, you already have bad days every single day, you do not need the aggravation! I hope that you take this with the Doctor when you see him next month, her behavior was unexcusable, and you did not deserve that.

On a side note, this is why I will not pick a PM Doc that uses an ARNP or PA in his office, if he is so busy that he can not see me personally, then maybe is time for me to find a new Doc... I've read too many stories of ARNP's and PA's treating people in pain badly, and making them feel like drug seekers, I hope that you can sort this out with your Doc. Take care,

• Susan when I read the 48 hrs without meds my eyes bulge out & my mouth dropped lol But SERIOUSLY I would be screaming my head off by then. 24 hrs I might be able to deal with. I hope they change yours.

On that same note PLEASE make sure that the meds your on are OK to stop cold turkey.
    I am on the Fentanyl Patch (75 mg) and was told to never stop it cold.

When you start your new thread I will be signing up :)

Alex - why no blood patch??? So you no longer have PP as of the leak?

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.