Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice from people with similar conditions (hopefully advice from a doctor)

slamdtrucksslamdtruck Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Backround Info:

Hi! i'm 27/male and i am plagued with back problems. I have some symptoms of "shuerrmann's disease" and also a very narrow spinal cord, and two pars defects, and 3 or 4 smorals nodes (which are symptoms of the shuerrmann's disease). in march of 2007 i herniated a disc in my lower back that caused me to lose my job, and insurance... so after therapy didn't work, i could not afford other treatments... 4 years go by and in august of 2010 my symptoms worsened and i lost feeling in my right leg and foot - it caused my toes to curl...also caused my leg to be ice cold, (which i had to do an arterial doppler test to make sure it wasn't a blood clot...test came back fine).. i've also lost a lot of muscle in my right calf...and i get dropfoot frequently.. long story short - i got insurance and was able to see a real back doctor.. because of how long it took to get insurance, and several mri's and a ct scan, and doctor's availability, i wound up having surgery august of 2011.. i had a lumbar disectomy, and it turned out my disc was actually wrapped around my nerve, suffocating it, and causing an adema (swelling).. i also suffer from horrible arthritis of the spine...

immediately after surgery my toes went back down, and it caused a morton's neuroma in my right foot... it wasn't until jan. of this year (2012, almost 6 months after surgery)) some feeling in my right leg and foot started coming back, however it's really painful. I am on gabapentin for nerve damage... i am well aware how long recovery from my surgery can take.. they say sometimes 1 to 2 years, but the doc made sure i was well aware that my leg and foot may never be normal, due to how badly my disc was buldging and suffocating the nerve - practically killing the nerve...

1. a cortizone shot in my foot did not cure my neuroma in my foot, the doc thinks the next move is to remove the nerve. this will cause me to never have feeling in my foot again... are there any alternatives?

2. my left leg has always been fine, but this morning i realized there is numbness from my shin to my ankle... what could be causing this? is this normal after surgery? did i somehow pinch another nerve?

3. in my right leg my muscles cramp, and pulsate, and are also tender to the touch, where it's a bit painful when i touch my ankle area... could this be something not related to my back issues? what could it be, so i can ask my doctor what to look for?

• Hi there,

Sounds like you have a few issues. First, there are no medical opinions on this site. The members are really just others with health issues that share experiences and/or can give you some suggestions on how to approach your situation. Unfortunately, we can never tell you what to do or assess your case specifically.

It sounds like you are asking the right questions. Did you get a 2nd or 3rd opininion?

1 - How is removing the nerves going to help? Can they cauterize the nerve (e.g. nerve block type of process)? I'm not familiar with this but you are right to question it as it sounds like a big deal. There are nerve medications that can block the 'pain signal' and while they have side effects it may be an option.

2 - Numbness is annoying. I ruptured a disc in 2009 and lost feeling in part of my groin, left buttocks, back thigh, left heel to outer toes. In my case, the nerves took a really hard hit and while I had surgery quickly, I suspect they were just beyond repair...though I do still have hope.

So - what's causing your numbness? Not sure but have you looked at a dermatome map? It will show you which limbs/areas are effected by the various levels. For example, my symptoms are in line with L5S1 nerve issues.

3 - indeed it can be related. I get incredibly bad nerve sharp pains (electric shock) in my left heel and I know it's my back. I also get cramps. Have you asked your doctor if a Physiatrist might be worth visiting for some of this pain? Physiatrists are medical doctors that study muscular and skeletal systems so they can sometimes offer a little more specialized conservative care than a standard PT. Mine will work with my doctors, PT, etc. to try to look at my pain holistically. They will also work with pain management doctors.

I hope some of this is helpful. I do hope you find more relief.