Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Syrinx or syringomyelia

Hey all, I was told prior to my 12 level fusion to correct scoliosis that I had a sryinx in my spinal cord as well as tarlov cysts in my left sacral area. After learning more about this I think I am understanding my body more and more as far as symptoms, and things are really just starting to add up as far as why I feel the way I do. Does anyone else suffer from this condition and if so please tell me what common side effects you have, and how it has effected your life and lifestyle.

I look forward to hearing from everyone.

• I am an active duty sergeant with a very similar condition. I suffered trauma while deployed, which led to a long road. Much more to go.. but I hear you. Really.

I have Syringomyelia T5-7, Tarlov Cysts in my Sacral L/R, torn up discs and a whole lot of pain. My symptoms are very difficult to endure at times. I have regional numbness in my left leg, frequently needing a cane. They finally issued me one after the fourth time I fell down the stairs onto my 3yo son. I have thigh pain, all the bells and whistles up my spine and really wicked radiculitis around the bottom of my ribs. Sometimes, the only solution for what feels to be a spear through my chest or neck is opiates.

I have had to use a shoe box to hold all of my medications. I fight deep depression and PTSD, which at times really exacerbates my physical issues. The only thing I hold on to is my family, which keeps me strong. Otherwise, I would literally lay in bed and never get up again. I threw the towel in on myself, but not on them. I still can be the best dad in the world to two little boys and a good husband to a good woman if I endure this.

I am undergoing a medical board for what will result in medical retirement. I am 29, and will quite possibly live with this for good. If you are still interested, and if you have read this far, my advice:

Do not stay inside.. you may hurt and have symptoms that make some things impossible. Some limitations will forever change your life.. but you need people. Humans are social creatures. If you isolate yourself due to pain or inconvenience, you will develop depression. Trust me, it exacerbates.

Find your limits. If you do not, you will find your life is like a rollercoaster based on physical ailments. I can no longer let my children ride on my back, or pull them in a wagon.. but I can paint with them. Play with them. Read them books.

Remove as much stress from your day as possible. Due to nerve problems, I suffer a great deal of muscle spasms. They are extremely painful and interrupt much. Nerves are sensitive and unpredictible. Do not give them a reason to fight you.

That is my advice. Summarized in ten minutes from 3 years of experience. Selfless acts sometimes follow you forever. It is what you do with the result that defines who you are. I will be disabled. I will be retired, lost like the rest of us in the VA system. But I have a plan. I want land. I want a home. I want to paint and woodwork to produce what I find value in. Help other people when I can. You need a plan that is within your limits. Once you establish that, you have something to look forward to. I honestly and sincerely wish you the best. Beyond the end, the weak will fails and the strong will endures. Choose which one you are.
  • You encourage me too
  • Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 01/03/2014 - 8:01 AM
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 01/02/2014 - 8:22 PM
    I wasn't trying to make anyone feel guilty or ashamed. A great proportion of my friends are in the Military. They are not offended and tease me about it when they flash their gold cards. I wrote a response but realised it was so off topic. The original poster wanted advice. I do not have either of these conditions so should not have posted anything.
  • mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 01/07/2014 - 8:18 PM
    Your post, especially the last 4 paragraphs, is inspirational for anyone who is living daily pain and disability, not just these particular conditions.
    I am sorry you have had to contemplate these issues at such a young age, but I congratulate you on your insight and attitude which will surely serve you well in the future.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde