Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Angie_28AAngie_28 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I want to know can I apply for disabilty after I have a ALIF sugery?

• i live in the uk and was granted DLA before my operation as i was ill with chronic pain anyway.remember that when filling your medical forms in if you are in the uk then get the CAB to do it for you .and remember that its how your disability effects you .don't think that you are automatically entitled because you have been through a horrible operation and no doubt in pain .again if you are in the uk the CAB do a home person that comes to your home and fills the form in the correct way .
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have applied twice for DLA before, and failed.

Recently I've put in another application and this time a man came from a local disability agency (similar to CAB) to help me complete the form. Last time I applied a lady from welfare rights helped me with the form and unfortunately she wasn't helpful at all.

It's an horrendous form to complete and I dare say I'll be rejected again, but this man said I should call him before I take any further action, which I thought was really supportive of him.

Also, he looked through my previous applications and documents and, this time, he told me NOT to enclose any documents that might have even one or two words of positivity. For example: my occupational health doctor had written something like:- although I'm not fit to return to work yet because I am still suffering chronic pain, he hopes my current medication regime will give me some relief. As it happened, the medications I was on gave me no pain relief at all (but the DLA people didn't know that) and I have been off work for months since then.

Good luck with filling in the form. Take a blank copy of it first to practice on. Will you please let us know how you get on OK?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • to be successful in obtaining disabiility, you have to meet the guidelines for it.... and are you talking about disability through work or federal disability. as backache was alluding to, levels of impairment need to be addressed.