Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please translate from medicalese and suggest exercises

BuelaBBuela Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Exercise and Rehab
One recommendation given in a study on SI joint issues in athletes was that "exercise techniques that promote independent contraction of the transverses abdominis."

First, precisely which are the transverses abdominis muscles? From what I'm seeing online, they're your lower back, but I'm trying to figure out where they precisely start and end, which way they run, etc.

What are some exercises that you might recommend that focus on strengthening those muscles? Of those, which would be the best ones to minimize neck strain?

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Not sure, but I'm guessing your doctor gave you that information re' medicalese and exercises.

It would probably be best to ask doc exactly what he means or if you're seeing physical therapist.

Previously, my doc gave me a handout with pictures and explanation which was so helpful. It seemed like the exercise was to do exactly the opposite of what I would have thought, so I referred to handout often.

Sorry I'm not much help, but best of luck to you and I hope the exercises are beneficial to you! :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Ok so what is TVA. It's just on layer of several in the area you call your abs.

So there are multiple layers and focusing on the specific one is difficult and takes some work. Fortunately you can learn it and it's free :-)

So here are some good example exercises.

This is a good example with 5 stages. It teaches you how to isolate them. That is a key as most people think you just “suck in your gut” and “all” your abs are good. Not so. Pilates is actually a very good teacher of this.

Here is an example of 2 that are popular. One is "planks" and the other is "superman". Superman is harder on your neck if you have cervical issues. It works very well but be careful. When lifting your head look further down the floor, not up. You're lifting your chest, not bending your neck. Lift your arms up with your palms facing in. Keep your elbow along side your ear.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by Authority Member Liz

Here's more samples:

Transverse Abdominal Exercises
    • Plank Pose
    • Plank Pose Leg Lift
    • Plank Pose Twist
    • Transverse Pull Ins

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by Authority Member Liz

• Back Extensions

Ignore all the marketing and sales noise and just understand the exercises. You can do them daily or every other day. Start slow and easy and work up. Ignore any of the twisting ones if you are not allowed to twist.