Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rough Recovery

ldavis2333lldavis2333 Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Lower Back Pain
My Laminectomy L2-L5 was done 3 weeks ago today. I put this surgery off well over a year and see now I suffered longer than I should have. I was almost completely bedridden due to pain in my back. I had Cauda Equina Syndrome.
I had had a previous Laminectomy L5-S1 several years ago. I also had a fusion with cages at the same level about 5 years ago. All was well for several years. In the Interim I have had a Cervical fusion C3-C7 with rods and screws 3 years ago.
The surgeon said he had to shave off a lot of bone and get down into the facet joints to get at the bone spurs. The surgery lasted about 4 hours. I was leaking spinal fluid and he had to put in a stitch to stop it.
When I woke up, needless to say, I was in a lot of pain. The nurses then told me I had to lay flat on my back for 48 hours to stop the leak. This just compounded the pain. Finally after 2 days I was able to get up. The pain control I thought was terrible. They were giving me oral meds. Finally after a lot of complaining they added the pump the second day with dilaudid. It was very hard to sleep. The surgeon wanted me to stay one more day. The nurses started pushing me out as soon as I started walking. I was better off anyway.
Two days after I got home, I was having a nightmare and fell out of bed. Luckily, I fell face down and the table beside my bed broke my fall. My bedroom is on the second floor so I came home with a commode and I hated it. Going up and down the stairs was harder than I had expected. Two weeks after surgery, I fell down the stairs. I had to lay there for a minute to see if I was still in one piece. They are wood stairs and I fell hard. I don't think it caused additional damage other than additional pain.
I am feeling better. The pain in my legs before the surgery is gone. Much of the hip pain is also gone. I am so relieved. I am taking it very slow. Standing for more than a few minutes is hard. I can sit comfortably in a comfortable chair for at least 1/2 hour. Haven't been out of the house. I tried to go for a little walk the other day and it was too much.
I am not sure where I should be in my function level at this point. I just think slower is better. I am so relieved it is over and I can see improvement.
Lastly, the most recent MRI of my neck is not good and I was told a few days before surgery that I had a stroke I was not aware of and now taking aspirin. All of this is so incredibly overwhelming.
Thank you for all of the support I have been given from my friends here. It makes a huge difference coming from people who know how I feel.

• Wow. That sounds like such a difficult recovery. I'm sorry to hear about all that you went through. I sometimes question why we go through all this stuff sometimes it feels like too much to handle (most of the time). Seems like nothing will ever get better..
    Things hopefully won't always be this way. Hopefully things will change, and when you fully recover you will be pain free. Perhaps you need a nurse or something to stay with you and monitor you, to take you up and down the stairs. But after such an intense surgery, you shouldn't be home alone. Less pain is always a good sign, and thankfully the doctors were able to diagnose you had a stroke whether than just having it get worse and possibly having a more intense life threatening stroke. Hope everything works out for you, you seem to have been through a lot and are still here, so I hope you push on; don't give up.
  • My husband is also disabled and he is home with me most of the time. He takes good care of me:). He needs a knee replacement in the next four weeks and has many other complicated issues. He will need a lot of help. I am really hoping to feel better before that happens.

I see you have had a rough time as well. Sometimes it seems like it's never going to end. I have stopped expecting it too. I always tell myself I can't give up no matter what happens and I do a lot of praying.

>:D< >:D< >:D<
This discussion has been closed.