Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is surgery always necessary for radiculopathy?

myharrietmmyharriet Posts: 9
I am currently trying conservative treatment for my sciatica. My MRI showed matter from a herniated disk (L5)pressing on nerve root at S1. So far the only thing that is helping is the prednisone. Is it possible to recover from this without surgery? I am also receiving chiropractic treatment and electrical stimulation. I am waiting for physical therapy.

• but having a laminectomy 15 years ago the 10 years later having to have it re done with the addition of a discectomy THEN 5 years later having the most horrific operation i can think of the dreaded ALIF fusion .i would advise against surgey especially fusions as they are life changing {in many cases for the worst] if you do NEED surgey find a top consultant and have the most minimal surgery that you can get away with
    tony {UK{}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • The answer is NO, but you probably have to allow for several weeks (in my case 7) to feel better.

I hope to avoid a flare up in the next 6 months and eventually a surgery.
    Almost 2 months ago when my problem started I could not imagine getting better without a surgery.

• My pain started in late November. Right after Christmas it became excruciating and I honestly didn't know how I could live with it, it was the worst pain I could imagine and I have had 6 children. It is a little better now, but as soon as I run out of the prednisone the leg pain returns. I start physical therapy tomorrow. The chirocpractor/nurse practicioner who is treating me suggests that if it doesn't get better with the conservative treat that I see a doctor he refers to who does miniminally invasive surgery and has treated several of his patients sucessfully. I would rather avoid surgery, but right now I am really limited in what I can do. I am 71 years old. I still have a lot of life to live and don't want to be an invalid!!
  • If all what your doctors suggest does not produce a satisfactory result, try laying in bed for as long as you can (assuming this relieves your pain).
    I stayed in bed for almost 7 weeks , 90% of the 24hour day ... (up only for the loo, and to walk 15 minutes every 3 hours)
    Medrol must have helped a lot too.
    I was lucky enough to be able to walk without much pain and to be painless lying down in bed.

I hope you get much better soon.