Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Random Surges with the SCS

ProtoBorgPProtoBorg Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I got my permanent SCS about 6 weeks ago and it has been wonderful for my pain. It hasn't eliminated it but it has certainly reduced it. My family says I'm looking so much better because of it.

I have the Medtronic RestoreSensor. And just had the AdaptiveStim turned on. And while I love the idea of the AdaptiveStim technology I find that is has not been as helpful for me as I would have hoped. I'm still making a lots of manual adjustments. So I have just left it off.

Today though I started to get weird random "pulses" in the stimulation like my SCS was sending me messages by Morse Code :D Or like it was a car engine revving up.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it normal?

Thanks so much for any help advise commentary etc

• Hi. You left it off because you have to make manual adjustments still. .? But if its helping so much with the pain what is the diference if you have to adjust it here and there?

Its sending you messages? Just set it to send to voicemail!

Maybe they put in a tracking device to make sure you dont leave the country with there scs, eh?

I dont know what would cause that but i would call the rep that you was working with on the set up of what the cause could be,

I am having same unit put in march 6 th so dont tell me now the damn thing needs a tune up already,

Give the rep a call see what he or she says, If anyone will know its them, They beter know, They the one sold you on it,

Soon as i get mine put in just give me your scs # and i can text ya scs to scs. Lol

Good luck

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • It sounds like PB is electing to leave the adaptive portion turned off. Since my SCS doesn't have that feature I can't really comment on whether it gets smoother or not. Will be curious to follow PB's progress.

Without the adaptive feature in my SCS, it still took me a while to get used to what level to set my SCS at so that I received maximum relief with minimum discomfort. I found initially I had things set too high and lost out on much of the benefit of my SCS. I now keep it set where I get max benefit with minimum signal and effort.

Keep us posted.

• I was getting ready to make the old FOIL HAT to protect myself for the spys and unwanted messages

The SCS has been the big help and I rarely turn it off . The AdaptiveStim in the SCS on the other hand hasn't been as helpful as I would have thought for me. When I go from a lying down position to a standing position I loos the sensation for 30s to 1 min before the AdaptiveStim takes over. In that time the pain and nausea and dizziness come flooding back.
    Additionally during the day I make quite a few changes to the stimulation as the day goes on.
    I can't seem to just set it and forget it - as I have been told many with the AdaptiveStim can do.

I see my rep tomorrow. to try and see what is going on with it. I just say him last week and he said one of the problems i was having would probably correct itself with more time as the leads head more. I was having surges as i bend over but only with the AdaptiveStim on.

What is happening now is random surges when every my, possibly possessed image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> , SCS chooses.

I was in a rush to get it activated. Like a kid at Christmas. :D They wait a month before they turn on the AdaptiveStim. I probably should have waited longer. :))(

• Oh ok got it. Hmmmm. I did not realise the adaptive part can be turned off and have the regular part of the stim runing,

Rep explained a litle bit about it but not enough during the trial, All i remember rep saying was it had a feature built in as iphone has to where the stim will adjust to 6 diferent positions it will remember as i move around and it will keep the same feeling going,

My responce was well i sleep in 24 diferent positions so whats up with that,
    This was right after as rep was playing with the program and dr slightly pulling the lead backing it out to where it was reaching the back of the legs finaly where i wanted it,

Rep was seting a new program and i could not resist pretending i was geting zapped and rep pushing on the button so fast to lower it untill i told her sorry i was kiding,

Dr got a laugh out of it, How can anyone resist standing there with wires coming out of your back and some stranger holding the control unit to it,

Let us know how it works out PB this way i know what to expect,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi All,

Well I went and saw my rep. Thank god. It turns out that the AdaptiveStim feature was not functioning as it should. It was thinking I was in a different position than I was in. I went from standing to lying down and it still thought that I was standing up. And this was after an reorienting of the AdaptiveStim :( So the Rep said let's wipe it and start over. And that seemed to do the trick. MOSTLY ... ;) (But no more surges while doing nothing) :D

It is now behaving as it should. It was quite painful but worth it as I didn't have the SCC off for that long since I got it. HECK - It's never off!!! :D

The 2 problems I have with it at the moment are:
    1. when I am in a car and it is driving it either turns off or is thinking that I am lying down so I can't feel the stimulation.
    2. When I recline it turns off. I either have to be upright or lying down.

The manual says that in a moving vehicle the stimulation may go off or get higher and just to turn off the AdaptiveStim until you are out of that situation.

As for the other problem I think that might be because I couldn't get straight enough for when we were re-orientating it because of the pain.

Funny enough though I have found that I'm using the AdaptiveStim programs less that the program I have that I manually control. I seem to so better with just setting the SCS at one place and increasing it as the day gose on if needed and at night lowering it to sleep. I'm still experimenting with it though and will probably see the Rep in a few months to see about the problem with the reclining position.

I so want it to work like how I think it should work in my head... But perhaps I have watch too much Star Trek, etc. and I have expectations from the 24 century :))(
  • Wipe it!? They slide a card through it or something? Like a credit card?
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Didn't see that typo :D

The Rep just erased all the programming with his programmer. And we started again from scratch. Which was worse that being in the hospital because at least then I was still groggy from the anesthetic.

My Rep took some notes on the settings I had and put them back again once the old programs were gone.

Today so far so good. I haven't used the AdaptiveStim since Sat. nor have I switched between programs. And I'm feeling better without the changes in stimulation that the AdaptiveStim allows. Just a little tweak up or down as needed as the day goes on.

I still love the idea of the AdaptiveStim so much. It would be nice if the trail used the AdaptiveStim to give the sensation of what it is like to use it.

• Well as long as it works and helps the pain is the goal, I been fighting untill the last minute trying to stretch and excercise to see if i can avoid scs implant coming up,

While stretching lleft leg nerve got agrivated somehow and for 3 days it would not let up, Fantynal patch would not touch the nerve pain or even with norco,

I was geting to be a basket case it hurt so bad, Then i read on line that ginger helps nerve sciatic pain, I figure what i have to lose we have ginger powder in the cabinet,

Put some ginger in my cofee, Was not the best cup of cofee i ever had but after few hours kept drinking it and finaly nerve pain started to back off,

I was like i be a monkeys uncle, Who would of known ginger helps inflammation,
    This natural pain releif is new on me but i swear it helped,

Ok just though i would share that , Hope all goes well for you with the scs,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks. I would be lost without my SCS now. Even with the little issues here and there.

I have been told by quite a few people that pineapple is also a good thing to take for inflammation.

Hope your SCS AdaptiveStim don't give you any of the trouble mine gave me.