Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal X-Ray Results

hummingbird114hhummingbird114 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I've had constant pain in the thoracic spine recently. The x-ray read:
"There is mild disk space narrowing and spurring scattered in the thoracic spine. There is some minimal compression of a midthoracic vertebral body of uncertain age. If symptoms persist, further evaluation with bone scan is reommended."
I'm not exactly sure what this means. I apologize if this is a dumb question. Can a very old fracture (30+ years ago) cause a compression so many years
later. I had a fall more than 30 years ago which resulted in a fracture of a vertebrae? This fracture healed eventually and I didn't have any more pain. Then, a few years ago I started having pain again in the thoracic area diagnosed as arthritis. Now the pain is constant. My last bone density test 2 years ago was normal and I take lots of
calcium and Vitamin D.
Can someone help me figure this out.

• Hi hummingbird :wave: & welcome to SH :)

I can't help you out with much. I do know that yes you can have this happen 30+ yrs later. It actually is not uncommon.

Calcium - There are a few different types. Are you sure you are on the right one to help with bones? Also there is another supplement that we should take with calcium to help our body absorb it better. I can't recall it right now, but if you want me to find the info out for you just let me know & I will be happy to do my best.

BUT even if you are taking everything correctly, that is no guarantee that this won't happen. It does in my opinion help aid in it not being even worse though.

Can I ask how old you are? Age especially in women plays a huge part in our calcium.

What type of a Dr are you seeing? Are you getting your pain managed?

Please post & let me know how I can support you better :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi Ms. HumptyDumpty. Thanks for your reply and it was helpful. I take 1200 mg. of Caltrate daily (600 mg. twice a day), 1000 mg. of Nature Made Vitamin Dl once daily. Yes, I am interested in the product that you said help absorbs calcium. As far as managing my pain, right now I only take Tylenol Arthritis occassionally. I just started some light yoga and I think that helps a little.

Wow....you are so young and have so much going on. Yes, I think you are young at 49, particularly since I'm 75. I know I'm at risk for all kinds of bone problems, so anything you can recommend will be so greatly appreciated. BTW, how do you manage your pain?
    Oh, and thanks for the welcome.