Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What Job, Task have you found to have a negative impact .

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Depression and Coping
We all suffer from one spinal problem or another. Basically, that's why you registered and started read threads and post to them.

Environment plays a key role in how you shape up, what added to the problems and what could be down the road.

I've read so many posts, where members describe their jobs, their activities, accidents, etc.

For me, I know what contributed so much to my problems.

First I played sports and I played them hard. Especially football. Back in the 1960s, there was no such thing as conditioning, and to say the least, my body took a major toll.

Occupation I was a Software Engineer (used to be Software programmer, but for some reason, they changed it to Engineer) In the 35 years with IBM, I spent so many 12-14 hours days at my workstation. Back in the mid 1980's, I was on a task force between IBM, Neurosurgeon, Orthopedic doctor, Physical Therapist and a furniture store.
Together we designed a the 'correct' workstation platform (monitor heights, keyboard and mouse placement, lighting, etc. We also designed a chair that would help people with spinal problems. It had adjustable head position, lumbar support, arms that could swing out or retract, cervical support, etc. It did just about everything (and it was very ugly) I used it for a while, but realized that there is no perfect workstation platform. But the best thing for anyone to do who works on computers is to take regular breaks Getting up, stretching, walking, etc for at least 15 minutes before going back to the desk.

There are so many other occupations that I could not do justice to them, so I am hoping others here will join in with their comments.

Awareness This is a big one. I only wish I would have followed my advice from the beginning. Understanding all your limitations and restriction is so very important, along with any exercise program your doctor has provided you for. HOWEVER, once you start to feel better, all of the above seems to get thrown out the window.

For me recently (Past 8) years was that while I was feeling pretty good, I was out in the yard moving some very big and heavy stones. I paid for that mistake dearly.

How about you?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I have worked at many desk/office jobs that involved prolonged sititng.

At one job, when I took 5 minutes 2-3 times a day to take a short walk for the sake of my back and according to doctor's reccommendations, my supervisor assumed I had completed my entire current work load.

When I returned to my desk, she would have placed another high volume of work on my desk. This, despite the fact that she was fully aware of what my doctor had reccommended.

I also went to a physical therapist at one point who had some degree of being able to "think out of the box". He advised me to discontinue sitting in a chair at my work and begin to sit on one of those large colored balls used for physical therapy on your back.

This was the best thing I could have done. I also began to sit on the ball at home for meals and watching TV. It proved to be one of the best things I have ever done for my back.
  • I prefer to think of it as, " I have enjoyed my life and what I did and would make no changes to it." I am where i am for the lessons to learn. But here goes. As a nurse, i lifted people, I did a lot of ballet, first recital at 48/49. Many years ago, one of the Partriot football players was in a lounge, I actually thought I was cute going behind him and picking him up off the ground! I was 50 when I realized I had some scoliosis. My hips were off. Then I found out I had OA. I am very active but that might actually work for me too.

FYI: Getting out of bed in fetal position helps in the aM.

Anyways, I am not through yet (:- )

Leila deurell
  • I forget, the ARC machine did me in. A trainer who also has DDD and scoliosis said, it would be good for my knees. My PT guy said, absolutely not for me.Too much lower body movement. I just didn't realize it. That put me into this first,very painful episode taking a long time to get back ( hopefully) Ya gotta be careful with trainers, some are wonderful, some are fair. We all have our limits with our education. I'll do what PT says in the future.
    Leila deurell
  • I think alot of my pain is being a cna I have to lift,twist, and stand up for about 8hrs and that really is my current problem I'm having to decide to keep this job or go on to something else because I can barely take this pain anymore
  • Oh my. I can't do that at work. As a psyc nurse, i can get away with it. When there is someone to lifet, I will have to opt out. I am not going to work that much now.
    Even 1 or 2 days a week is fine for me.

One hospital I am on my feet constantly, the other is half and half. It'll work for me. Not quite ready to go back.

Leila deurell
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    But it's such a good thread. I'll go ahead and look stupid and stubborn. For the team!
    First off, it is to a certain respect hereditary. My entire large family have long torsos. And incredible strength for our frames. We all have back problems. With me being the oldest. The others were able to benefit from my mistakes.... to some degree (we are all stubborn and hard headed) They all had problems but not to the degree as me.
    I came from a poor dysfunctional family. With no chance for higher education.
    I knew from very early on, I wanted to drive big trucks and operate large equipment.
    And that's what I did. Big rough riding equipment torchering my spine. And the highest paying union job was in building materials. That requirered getting beat to death to and from the job site. And getting out (without warming up) and lifting heavy objects, 100 or more pounds. But I loved it!
    I watch contractors that weren't very smart making a ton of money. So I studied and got my contractors licence. And from working 12-16 hr. days I was able to save money and financed my own projects. But that was on the side and I kept my bread and butter job. I could have quit, but that was my first love. And as I burned out from burning the candle at both ends, something had to go. and it was the easy contracting.
    And the rest is in the history book. I got beat to death and lifted heavy objects, just because I could.
    And did it until my body (spine) was so injured that I couldn't do it any more.
    And it's been progressive d.d.d., one disc at a time, (sometimes more) till present time. And I'm fused from S-1 to T 12
    What's worse is I was offered high paying jobs with in the company in management sales or other jobs that wouldn't kill me. And I turned them all down for my first love! [(
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I can understand being hard headed about weighing the job you love against your health. As sad as it is it's very diffcult at giving up something that you love and that your good at. Some of us know our limits yet we push our limits to the extreme causing us to have back pain or pain period just for our enjoyment that we are young at least our mine set might think until our bodies tell us otherwise. I keep wanting to get away from doing cna work but I can't or maybe it's I just won't. I keep making excuses about how much I'll miss my residents or how much they miss me ( I work in the dementia unit) they won't miss me much lol. I just wanted to let u know you're not alone in feeling stubborn but your not stupid you were just determined to not let the pain get to you.
  • What is a job? Is that when you have to get up at 6 am and you have to be there by 7am?

Its been so long its hard to remember but i think i had a job once!

Those were the good old days!

Now i just sit around take pain pills and collect dissability ssdi and doing my part in adding to our country deficit! Its a dirty job but someone has to do it!

Actualy with chronic pain i am bringing new jobs and keeping my pain dr employed along with his staff! I have not seen any lay offs at my dr,s office so i must be doing something right!

I am stimulating our economy,!

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • After researching my condition of spondylolisthesis, I am quite certain that my 4 years of high school basketball, volleyball, and track heavily contributed to the slippery slope I am now on.

My weight has also contributeS, although the fact that I have lost 50 lbs since my first surgery and continue to be in pain niggles at my brain just a bit.

My profession of teacher, (now medically retired) and being on my feet all day or hunched over student desks while being overweight certainly was not optimal either.

Then there is the negative impact of just plain old bad genetics and a family history of spondy, though never with the complications I've had...

And the biggest negative impact, not being infinitely more careful when I chose my first surgeon. Had I known then what I know now, I would never have needed operations 2 or 3 because operation one would have been done right by right surgeon.

All in the past now.

You live....you learn....

Dec10 Fusion due to grade 2 spondylolisthesis and sciatica. L5/S1. Failed.
    Aug11 Hardware Removal, Dural Tear, Foot Drop
    Dec11 Salvage fusion at same place. Also a failure.
    August 2012 Spinal cord stimulator
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    along with truck drivers seem to be the most likely to have back troubles.
    The amount of nurses with bad backs just blows my mind. But I can understand. I watched some moving patients from small to large. It's dead wieght your trying to move! And for a big guy like me I would think they would get help from 1 or more other nurses. And with me, some did, but many didn't. I think that the ones who didn't were the very good employees. That had a mind set like me.
    Buy the time I go get someone (and they're pissed cause I'm causing them to actually work) and explain what I want done, and they do it wrong. I could just do it myself and be done in 1/4 of the time. X(
    Besides. I always figured way back then. That the way medicine was improving by leaps and bounds. That by the time I really did major damage. I could just go in and order a new back to go with nothing on it. When I finally retired! =))
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Now they use lifts for patients and are more ergonomic. When we are young and strong, we can't imagine anything happening to us. For the older ones, remember Larry Eisenhower, a patriot football player. When i was in my 30's, he was in the same lounge, I thought I was cute, I went behind him and lifted him off the ground. I was pretty and weighed 120. I had no idea how stupid i was. I am also a little stupid today, pushing snow off the deck after a spinal injection. Off to PT.

Leila deurell