Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Management Doctors

julie47jjulie47 Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Pain Management
Please share your experiences with me as far as seeing pain management doctors. I am considering it, but a little sour on the idea.

My mom saw a pain management doctor after a compression fracture of a lumbar vertebrae. This doctor wrote no less than six prescriptions on her first visit. I called her from work after she took of the new pills--sorry, can't remember the name of the medication. She literally took about five minutes to form a sentence during the phone call with me.

Her internist told her to stop taking all of the medications prescribed by the PM doctor and, in the future, never to trust a doctor who wrote that many prescriptions in a single appointment.

• Most pain docs don't prescribe that much medication. That is not the norm. Maybe look into a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor (physiatrist) who specializes in pain. My physiatrist is great, we have tried many medications, but she knows I don't want anything super strong. I did some physical therapy, injections, got a tens unit, tried accupuncture.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • My pain doctor works with me, prescribing the least amount of medication necessary. I have always been hesitant to use anything stronger than tramadol. In fact, it took me a couple of years before I would even take tramadol. He basically left it up to me, and had me tell him when I was ready for help. I don't know if he is this way with everyone, but for me, it works. My doctor advocates doing everything I can to help myself before using meds.

The important thing is to find a doctor whom you are comfortable with. Mine is an anesthesiologist pain doctor and his first goal is to use injections. If that doesn't help, then he will prescribe medications, but very conservatively.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    is a physiatrist. They specialize in the total rehab of their patients. They do not perform any surgery, but will coordinate all the diagnostic tests you need, help you with any surgical procedure etc. Above all, they work with you to manage all your medications.

I have been so fortunate to have a super physiatrist.
    She takes total control of my situation. She writes 95% of the scripts I need (Pain medication(Opana), Muscle relaxers, Nerve medication and more). She also keeps track of all of my other medications.

I am in a much better place today because of this doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • my doctor slowly introduced meds one at a time. even though i had to wait longer for control of pain, the purpose of it was to check out the first one, add the second one and see if there are significant changes, and if so adjust meds if necessary, and then introduce the next med. he wanted to keep track of how the drugs interacted with each other. for example if meds 1 and 2 were okay and after adding med 3 things did not go well he would adjust or change med 3. i actually liked this process. he obviously was interested in getting the best combination and dosage level for the medications he was prescribing for me.
  • I have two herniated discs in my lower back (L4-L5 and L5-S1). I found a great pain clinic called EDIT which is located in Playa del Carmen (Riviera Maya) Mexico. The doctors specialize in alternative therapies including chiropractic medicine, acupuncture and ozone.

I had back surgery in 2008 and the discs re-herniated within 6 months and a second surgery was recommended. I had surgery once; never again.

Since 2009, I've been seeing the doctors for pain; they have a procedure where they inject ozone directly into the discs. The needles hurt a bit but the pain relief is immediate and it lasts for months. I highly recommend it; the doctors are bilingual and it's relatively inexpensive.

Swimming helps alot too. :)
    Post edited to remove name of medical professional and or facility. by Authority Member Liz

• I think, Acupressure is one of the very good and effective form of pain management. My doctor had suggested to me when I was suffering from back pain problem. They gave me some medicines and told to to do the Acupressure treatment regularly but really it is very much effective. I have got a very good results.
  • Until 2009, my neurosurgeon was my pain management doc for about 2 years ... both before and after he performed my two cervical procedures. In Dec. 2009, my family relocated. In Marc 2010, I had to find another pain management doc in my new home city. I have been with him since March of 2010 to present.

He is much like babyruth's recap. Does not dole out prescriptions left and right and insists on monthly visits to monitor your condition, changes, etc, among which are your medication. He would only prescribe 1 or 2 new ones and monitor the scripts I was already taking. He may take away 1 or 2. He, too, would want the "good, the bad, and the not so good" on the results of the medication changes or additions. Unfortunately, I am at a plateau with my "Pain Game" where my pain is controlled with medications ... but thankfully so. It has taken us probably the last 9 or 10 months to FINALLY get the med combo correct to afford me some idea of normalcy. Our body is nothing but a large complex chemistry lab and these prescriptions are new and different chemicals being introduced into it. Like you have heard a thousand time, everyone's body reacts differently to these "new intruders". Just gotta get to the correct combo ... or sometime not. I am by no means no expert. How can my mother be allergic to every opiate and narcotic you can think of and, yet, I have no issues with them? Very strange! Hope this helps.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Physiatrist IMHO is the only way to go.

They have no vested interest in surgery and treat pain as it is, multi-faceted.

It can be frustrating to start working with a new doc, but once a good history is established with one and you are exact with following instructions, you will see it pay off in the long run.

These folks are under a great deal of pressure thanks to illicit use, but once a relationship is established, it gets much better.

I also firmly believe in spouses going with us. As long as your spouse is a level headed type, it can help show how your pain is your relationship's and your family's pain.

I have had my wife and young son right in the room with me more than once. It shows them we are not so different, we all have spouses and kids... It shows we are not so different besides chronic pain, and than we are all human.

This makes you Mr or Mrs/Ms So and So and not patient # 4325646.

Best of luck :-)

Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
    May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
    July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
    Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
    Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.
  • My pain doc is a very good man, I have had to call his office to inform him how my injections were working. He took time to call me back as soon as he could. I have seen several doctors over the years he is one of the first to call back instead o f having a nurse do it. He goes out of his way to help me find exercises I can do. I am very lucky to have him.
  • I have only seen one PM Doctor and it was not a good experiance at all!! I am sure there are some very good ones out there.
    The only thing mine wdold do for me was to implant an SCS(spinal cord stimulator)!! No medications no no nothing except an SCS!! He said I was a perfect candiate for one! I was desperate to get my pain under controle so silly me, I agreed. And yes, you guessed it....it did not work for me!! All it did was tingle on top of my pain!
    When I had ask hem about a pain pump he really bashed them!! Then he did a turn and told me I needed a pain pump!! Say what!! I reminded he of how he bashed them and he kind of laughes and said"The reason I said that was because I do not do them!! All that Doctor wanted was the money he would make off of me!!
    I will never trust a PM again.
    Patsy W
  • Wow patwhite, talk about reason for not liking PM's, you have got one! I would have done the same thing or had the same feelings! So far, I do not like my PM either. He was dismissive, and his office is not managed well.

Part of that is because they are still on paper charts and are not ePrescribing yet. Once you have a doctor who has gone digital, you will usually find a better organized office. One that has a patient portal where you can go online and ask for refills, is even better.I would call for a refill 2 days before I would run out, they would wait 2 days to call me back, then another 2 days to process the refill, by then I had been out of meds and going crazy.

Sometimes I would call in a refill and never get a response, then they would claim it the request got lost. I'm sorry but when you have chronic pain, you cannot go without your meds for even a day!

Im going to look in my area for a Physiatrist. It's almost 4AM here and again, can't sleep so I might as well do more research on local physiatrists!

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • Patsy,

I'm confused with your attitude about your Pain Management Doctor. Based on what you said in your A Wonderful Doctor... thread, you were very happy with that doctor at one time.

• One Dr. should not sour you on the rest. In the five years I have been dealing with this I have seen both good and bad. I have a great PM now. I get trigger point ozone injections in the hip and neck. I was prescribed methadone because I have tried everything and had basically given up. It knocks the pain back from an 8 to a 4. Pretty happy, keep looking.
  • Concerned, have you replied like this to more than one of Patsy's posts? If I am mistaken I apologize, it's just that I am sure that I have read a post or two asking Patsy about her attitude and about the A Wonderful Dr post. If my memory is correct and it has been you that has commented on this a couple of times then I hope that the moderators do something about this, as you only 3 posts. In fact I am going to pm Ron just in case. If I am mistaken, sorry.
  • Hi Snookie. What does my 3 posts have to do with anything? Am I not allowed to comment? I made no forum violations. I merely pointed out a contradiction from a member.