Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Permanent Nerve Damage

SpiniequeenSSpiniequeen Posts: 8
Hi all, long time lurker. Here is my story and a couple of questions for you...

I have had 3 surgeries in the last 15 months. My last was in December of 2011.

On my diagnosis on the operative report from December, my surgeon put:
1. failed back surgery
2. grade 2 spondylolisthesis
3. lumbar spinal instability
4. foraminal stenosis
5. sciatica l5-s1

I have been medically retired from my job as a classroom teacher.

With my last surgery, I had a removal of perineural fibrosis and scar tissue, a gill laminectomy, complete facetectomies and foraminotamies bilaterally, and in the area of a psuedoarthrosis, a posterolateral fusion with pedicle screws. (interbody fusion was done a year previous).

Here is the kicker, I am still in tremendous back, butt, and leg pain. My feet just throb even after I lie down.

I know that I was at higher risk, but once you are diagnosed with FBSS, is it a diagnosis that stays with you and just comes to managing symptoms?

I had high hopes for this surgery as it was done by the best surgeon in the southeast. He offered me no promises, but I was still hopeful.

My second question is this, in September, I was diagnosed with chronic nerve damage via emg on the left leg and acute damage on the right (both at the l5/s1 level) and nothing was done to address this until December. Could I now be experiencing permanent nerve damage?

Thanks in advance!
Dec10 Fusion due to grade 2 spondylolisthesis and sciatica. L5/S1. Failed.
Aug11 Hardware Removal, Dural Tear, Foot Drop
Dec11 Salvage fusion at same place. Also a failure.
August 2012 Spinal cord stimulator

• Hi and welcome, I also had failed back surgery and thats where i am at now after 3 surgeries,

I have nerve damage that never healed after 8 years now, Nerve can heal for they say up to 18 months or longer but if its severe it might never heal,

Only question i have for you is why your report says spine is not stable after you already had 3 surgery?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • That was my preoperative diagnosis, and postoperative confirmation. I'm surely stable now as I am the proud owner of pedicle screws. I was unstable due to psuedoarthrosis....I failed to fuse after the first surgery, the initial doc went in a second time 8 months later to take out an aspen clamp that had broken off my spinous process and at that time he declared my fusion good. 4 months later I was operated on by a world renowned surgeon whose first words were psuedoarthrosis. Anyway, it's surely been a big mess and the takeaway for me is GET THE BEST SURGEON OUT THERE. Otherwise you may pay for years for just assuming that any neurosurgeon can do a fusion because they are so common nowadays.

I was abandoned by my neurosurgeon because he was out of his league when complications set in and he was afraid to refer me to someone more knowledgeable because his ineptitude would come to light. So, instead of manning up and helping me, he dropped me and left me flailing. A story for another day I guess....
    Dec10 Fusion due to grade 2 spondylolisthesis and sciatica. L5/S1. Failed.
    Aug11 Hardware Removal, Dural Tear, Foot Drop
    Dec11 Salvage fusion at same place. Also a failure.
    August 2012 Spinal cord stimulator