Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help me

julie47jjulie47 Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Depression and Coping
I have been unemployed for 3 years. My doctor advised me to take the aqua arthritis class @ my local health club. She said she it will help me need less pain medication and the class will have no side effects.

I am so blue that I feel like if I started to cry it would be very difficult to stop for a long time. This is due to my job situation and because I look in the mirror and see the me I used to be. God, do I miss her so very very much.

I joined my local health club for one month to take ths pool class because that is all that I could afford. Now my month is almost over and I cannot afford a second month. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and watch the need for my pain medications increase. This is another reason I am feeling depressed.

Thanks for reading this.

• Julie I posted to you over in Ron's thread in regards to your depression and such :)

AS for the pool class a couple ideas come to mind.

1. Can you explain your situation to them & ask if you can make payments?

2. Do you have health insurance? If yes will it reimburse you for this?

I joined our YMCA for these classes and I pay 35.00 a month for everything.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi Julie :H ,

MsHumptyDumpty gave you some great ideas. If you do have health insurance, maybe having your doc write a prescription for your pool classes would work. I know what you are going through. My battle with chronic cervical pain began to really rear its ugly self about 6 years ago. I was still working, so fortunately had insurance through employment. Rassy's Story below will give you my Resume of Pain Game. I lost my job in June 2008, so went on my husband's insurance. He then lost his job in December 2008, so there goes my coverage. He is covered through the VA. I had no insurance until I found one on those discount policies which mainly covered my medications. It was all we could afford. Fortunate by that time, most of the pain management procedure injections and nerve blocks, etc., and 2 surgeries had been done. We still were in a crunch and living on unemployment. I ultimately was forced to file for Soc Sec Disability and approved (another story!) Is there any State Agency for which you would qualify for financial assistance? Medicaid comes to mind ... or contact your State Health Insurance Program, commoningly called S.H.I.P. in a lot of States. Try going online on the State website in whichever state you live and do some searching. Don't be too proud to ask for help from the Government Agencies. You have been a taxpayer and have not abused the system. You have a right to ask for help! Please stay strong. We all know it is hard. We have all been through the gaunlet, more times than we want. We are here to listen to you ... even if you just want to get rid of those bad feelings. Please keep us all posted. We are here fro YOU. Here's a couple >:D< >:D< for warm thoughts.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • This may sound trivial, but I can save a few bucks by eliminating purchasing soda or junk food. I find that I can pull $25 out of my grocery budget very easily by preparing menus and cooking simple things. If I stick to a menu, purchase whatever is on sale that week, and cook accordingly, I save our family quite a bit of money.

Saving $25 off of your grocery budget could be enough to pay for the pool membership. Just sharing what I have learned. Hopefully it will help.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Great idea Cindy! I buy store brand name items as often as I can and it helps with the budget a little. There ARE some things I prefer brand, but not very many. I try to buy bigger items, like laundry soap, etc. when it is on sale. Coupons may come in handy, too. When I was working I carried my lunch. I have also managed to get all of my medications in generic form and that really helps too. I guess what we are trying to say any little thing you can do to cut back here and there might surprise you. Hopefully, enough to get you back into those pool classes. As Cindy said, just a few things I have learned along the way. Hopefully helpful as well. Keep us posted. >:D<

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Some people don't realize that if they can't work they may qualify for state aid, including Medicaid and food stamps. Also YMCA has a "scholarship" program to help cover their monthly membership fees. Don't be afraid to ask for this help if you need it. This is what our taxes pay for! Please use it! Just google social services in your county. A lot of applications and qualification guidelines are online.

If you need help finding where to apply in your area here in the United States, I will hel you for free. Just send me a private message.
  • Hello, I am new here. however I just talked to my YMCA today about the finical help with there membership and they told me to come in and fill out a paper and if I met the qualification it would probably be around $27 dollars a month. I figure that was a lot cheaper then PT and I know I could cut back somewhere to met these payment. I was in water therapy and it helped a lot. Even just being in the water I feel better the pressure is off a little. As for state help. In Ohio I tried to get help for my family and since I was not working 20 hours a week for the month of June the said they could not help me, to reapply next month when my hours picked back up... I have worked since I have been 16 and have paid by share to the government and now that I need there help, I cant get it. I do not think that is fair but I guess this is just one obstacle I will face there will be many more to come.
    shiela diodati
  • Yay for the Y! Boo for the social services! Unfortunately, they are not easy to deal with... Check with more than one official, and even if they say you won't qualify, apply anyway. Ask for a copy of the rules or google them to see if you truly don't qualify. You may find out that you really do and the person you spoke with was misinformed! :)

Good luck!
  • How are ya doin, Girl? Praying all is well with you!
  • Tx_pjmomTTx_pjmom Posts: 5
    edited 08/20/2012 - 8:24 PM
    I miss the me I used to be very much as well. I am also in the same financial position and Medicaid stated I did not qualify for state aid because I was not diabetic nor did I have Cancer. I am trying to get payment plans worked out with our local YMCA and any other organization that will listen. If I find something, I will definitely post back! I am sending you hugs and hope that you catch a break somewhere that will help out.
  • AlstonAlston Posts: 4
    edited 09/12/2012 - 1:55 AM
    Do take deep breath in fresh air, Take multivitamin regularly,
    Drink 2/3 glass of water,
    Avoid alcohol, caffeine and other stimulants...