Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This is the End ! or

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Matters of the Heart
is it just the beginning?

Logging into Spine-Health represents the fact that you have some type of Spinal problem. For so many, its to talk about all the pros and cons that go along with this.

There is no question that having a spinal problem, going in for treatments and the fact that surgery may be your only answer is a common situation for each of us.

How we deal with this, the problems, the impacts. all are things that we have to adjust to. Just as there are no two people that are identically alike, there is no one answer to everything.

About as soon as know we have spinal problems, we begin to understand the short and long term impacts associated with it.

How we deal with all of this can also be so very different.
Every person has different ways to cope with the spinal problem.

There are restrictions and limitations that we all have had to address. There are those that understand the situation and let it consume their lives, and there are those that refuse to let it stop them from having a productive and meaningful life.

So many times, I read posts saying "Its over", "I'll never be the same", etc. I always like to address those that say things along this line. Sure, we may not be able to do all the things we did before, but we can also do so much more. Instead of focusing on we can no long do, we should all be realizing just how much we can do.

When a person says "Its over" for all practical purposes, it may be very true. If you concede to this, you would also be sentencing yourself to these problems for life.

However, those that say "I can", "This is not going to stop me", "I can do this, but perhaps in a different way" are the ones that are going to enjoy life to its fullest, appreciate each day and so much more.

It all starts with a positive attitude. Do not dwell on the past, for the past is the past, instead work on the future. You would be surprised at just how much we all can do.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• i am learning to be positive, as it has been hard for me to adapt to this "new" life.

i did mention this in some other thread somewhere but i will mention it again here, because it is important to me. it was an invaluable experience.

my mom has come to visit me from the other end of the country many times over the past six years, with three surgeries. whereas i had/have been able to pull the sheets up to make my bead, she, at her advanced age had to lift up the bottom of the matress to tuck in the blankets because i couldn't do it. i was only able to just flatten the blankets on the bed and by the time i woke up they were strewn all over the place.

anyway, what i did a few weeks ago was to take the footboard off my bed (it's a sleigh bed), and for the first time in about 6 years i can now make my bed like a "normal" person. i just sat on the floor at the end of the bed and tucked in the sheets, then one blanket after another!

my heart just giggled, it was a great feeling. somehow i felt less ashamed of my inability to make a bed. i felt a sense of accomplishment. yay me! it was enlightening because after six years i can now do it for myself.

anyway, i'm rambling, but this is what came to mind when i read this thread. if anyone wants to fly me in to their home towns i could come in and make your beds for you! i'd like to see the world.
  • Looking at a glass I'd always see it as half empty,thinking of an outcome I'd always think worse case senario then things could only get better,negativity was always first to rear it's ugly head.
    Today is a new day and I have decided to be the positive person who always hid in the background of negativity.
    Since I have been diagnosed with mild ms I am a changed person,a happier relaxed more easy going person,why you might ask with such a diagnosis!and the answer is I really don't know a calmness came over me at the time and has stayed with me ever since, acceptance of life is a giant step forward, and I intend to enjoy every one of them from here on out.My faith has played a major factor in my acceptance and I thank God every day that I have him in my life.Ms will change my life I know that but being positive will get me through any bad days ahead of that I'm sure :) :)