Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am nervous need imput..

hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 182
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi all WOW it has been so crazy in my life with all the medical crap I am going through.

I went in and got counseled about the ST Jude stem implant test today and we talked about the implant as well. I have to say it makes me nervous thinking of that in my body.

Please tell me story about the implants and how you felt after test and implant I would appreciate it.

Dis you chose the one where you have to charge the battery or did you get the one that is charged up to three to seven years?

I travel some times over seas and I am not sure I want that big thing in me and if I get the little one that you have to charge how can I charge it over seas?

These are thoughts I am pondering.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

• Valid concerns and questions.

I chose the rechargeable system that only has to be swapped out every 8 to 9 years. Very small and easy to manage. I have flown back and forth from Japan to DC and all over the US with mine without any problems.

I was concerned living in Japan that I would have power compatibility issues, however the chargers are made to handle multiple electrical systems. I carry my charger with me when I travel, and have it fully charged. With the charger full, I can recharge my SCS 2 complete times. So I can easily go 1 month without even needing an electrical outlet. Opens up the ability to camp.

Without my SCS I would be unable to leave the house. With it, I work, train and ride horses, garden, ride my scooter, work out, hike, fish, scuba dive ....

I am glad that I did not get the larger non-rechargeable system. I would be facing surgery in another year if that were the case.

• Thanks for responding this makes me feel better about getting the smaller one. I did not know the charger lasts for two charges. That is way cool! I was told I would have to charge once a week so that made me a bit nervous. HA HA especially when your traveling and get busy.

• I have small one and it did give me back part of my life. I recharge mine once a month

• Hi there,

I have had the permanent implant for about 2 months now. And it is great for helping with my pain and nausea.

The trail was easy and I was sorry to have to end it and then wait for the permanent one.

I've had a few little issues with the stimulator and needed to get it reprogrammed a few times but so far it has been great. I would be lost with out it.

The unit I have is rechargeable (they said should last 9-10 years) though I'm told that I run it rather high so it might be less than that. I have to charge about every 3-4 days. But as the charger it self is portable it isn't a problem to take it with me if I need to. Though usually, I charge at home. I think about it like charging my phone or laptop. :)

I got this one because it has technology that "learns and remembers your movements". If you need a different level of stimulation when lying down on your back, lying down on the right or left side, being upright, or moving it will change the stimulation as you move into and out of those positions. So far for me I have found it better not to use it and just have the stimulation be a constant one.

All in all I wouldn't trade my SCS for anything. I wasn't able to do much of anything before it and my reaction to may of the medications were scary. I still have some pain but it is so so so much less and I an on less medication now too.

The test was a real help in knowing what to expect and how much it would help me. I'm still learning how my body reacts to the stimulator but each day seem better and better.