Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm going insane!! If you're in the same boat please reply!!

GemGGem Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,

Well seen as I have just joined this group I guess I should start by telling my story of how I got here!! Any advice or anyone who wants to chat who are going through the same as me would be much appreciated!!

I woke up one Sunday morning last September 2011 and an hour later I could hardly move. The following day I got numbness and paralysis in my left arm and leg and had severe pain in my lower back which was more excruciating upon sitting or lying flat on my back or stomach. Although the numbness subsided after a couple of weeks the pain was as bad as ever and I was referred for musculo-skeletal/ orthopaedic physiotherapy where I underwent an MRI scan. I had all sorts of physiotherapy including traction, acupuncture and hydrotherapy none of which helped before I was formally diagnosed. In December I was diagnosed with spondylolithesis L5/S1, degeneration of 2 discs and a herniated disc between L4/L5. I also have Pars defect and stenosis on both the left and right hand sides.

I have now been off work/studying for over 5 months, I struggle to sit stand or walk far. The only way I can get comfortable is lying on either side. I can't even sit through a meal, I have a bed downstairs, struggle to walk up the stairs and I am practically housebound. If I do go outside I am very slow at walking, can't walk far due to the chronic pain and have a constant limp. I'm taking ridiculous amounts of medication which only seem to numb down the pain and I am awaiting an appointment for the pain clinic.

I would love to hear off people going through the same thing. I feel so isolated and alone, I am usually such an upbeat person but I feel this is beating me and I am so down and tearful.

Best wishes,

Gem x

All duplicate posts have been deleted. Please follow this thread
Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 03/02/12

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Just about everyone on this site feels or have felt the same. So your not isolated,alone, or fighting this battle alone.
    Welcome to Spine Health forums, which seems to be a little slow right now.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped by Gem!! you no longer need to feel alone now that you have found the forum!! have a good look around and make yourself at home!please try and be patient until your trip to the pain clinic.. they should be able to offer you many different treatment alternatives..this could mean relief beyond just medication..good luck as you search for pain relief! Jenny :)
  • Hi Gem :wave: & welcome to SH. Though I am very sorry you have a need to be here.

I can't image being fine and going about life with no accident (which is in part how I was injured) or event and out of no where this huge problem jump out and bite you! You are probably still in a state of shock (not literally).

What type of work/activities did you do before all this happened?

Try to come around here and hang out, reading & posting. You will soon find you are not alone and that this place is full of a wealth of information, resources & a TON of support from the members :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    You will soon find out that there are so many other members out here who have been in your shoes, walked the walked, and are dealing or have dealt with it all.

I would love to dig up statistics about how many people start to have lumbar problems in the L4/L5 area and L5/S1. Those disc spaces seemed to be the ones that people having back problems always have.

So many people continue with these problems and more using only conservative treatments. I would always recommended that route. But there are times that surgery is the only answer, but that is something for you and your doctor to explore and discuss.

Take a look at the main menu on the Spine-Health site. Click under conditions, find yours, start to read all the medical articles and also view detailed videos. Then you can start to look at the Treatment section to see what other options are available.

I try to tell every new member that it is so important to become the 'expert' on the problem they have. The Spine-Health libraries is probably the best way to start.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com