Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Infection and other bad things....

MurronMMurron Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Recovering from Surgery
So I had a great first week post op, now every thing is going down hill. I still feel ok. I have had a fever for the last 2 days and my incision is puffy and pinkish. This started Saturday and I took my last antibiotic on Thursday. I don't want to freak out call my doctor go in and find out it is just the way it is healing. I have never had stitches before so I have no clue what they do. The incision is also bleeding some times. The bleeding happens at the lowest part of the incision and is usually only enough to leave a tiny dot on my cloths, but I don't think it should be happening.

I have also be having increasingly worse spasms. The spasms aren't limited to my legs and back like before, they happen in my hands, fingers, arms, neck, toes, and even my eyes. About 30 minutes after I take my muscle relaxer I have some relief, but it only lasts about an hour. It wakes me up in the middle of the night and makes it hard to do things like brush my teeth. It has also happened in my foot and made me fall.

Also I have notices small bumps in my veins. They are just like the ones you can occasionally get after an IV, but they are not just in my hands, they go up my arms and are sore. I told my doctor and all he did was call in a steroid prescription for me.

Should I go to my doctor about these things or are they normal? Also can anyone give me a time frame on how long it takes for the incision to heal? Does it scar badly?

• There should be a Dr. Surgeon on call and let him know about your incision. If you have a fever please get to the Dr. The Surgeon will let you know to go to the ER where you had your surgery done to get your incision looked at and also get blood cultures done for high temperature.

Was the Dr. who called in the steroids for you your Surgeon? He should know if you're taking any steroids. I know recovery can be difficult but anything abnormal like a fever or bleeding from your incision or redness should be checked out. Call the Surgeon on call and have the issues written down so you can let him know about fever and incision issues. You'll feel better to get checked out. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN