Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New mattress purchase log / (edit)

cjperkccjperk Posts: 77
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Sleep Problems
Cheers guys,

After much research and leg work, my fiance` and I bought a EDIT air bed. During the trials, she liked the tempur style beds and I liked Sleep Numbers c3 mattress the best. Granted we couldnt take them home, but since I'm the one with back problems my lovely lady let me make the final decision.

Ok, so I did not like that part but the price seemed worth the risk. The comparable SC bed was around 2200.00. My real skepticism is that I much preferred the low end SC bed to the thicker ones, but more research proved I probably should buy thicker for more support. We ordered over Presidents Day weekend and it's arriving tomorrow. I will let you guys know about setup, 'what's in the box', and most importantly the quality and how it sleeps.

Everything I read suggests that pain sufferers either love tempur mattresses or air beds. The tempur mattresses remided me of lying in clay. I loved the adjustable frame, but we could not afford the extra 1600. I was also worried that I'd have a hard time deciding which firmness would sleep the best for me. In the past pillow tops have felt best but maybe firm is what I need. Mattress decisions are so difficult when pain is involved. My last spring mattress took me a month to decide on. It's sagging bad in the middle, time for a change. Cheers all, I'll let you guys know about the experience. This forum has already provided me with a lot of information, I hope this gives a little back!

solicitation not permitted
Post Edited by Authority Member Liz

• I have a firm memory foam style mattress. It is awful. I put a pillow topper on that which makes it tolerable.

My parents just got an adjustable air bed with a softer memory foam topper built in. It was very expensive around 4500 I believe (King size with 2 adjustable sides). The head and legs also go up and down.

I would love to have that bed. I think it might do wonders for my pain. I think a queen size is around 3500 and that is a lot of money.

I hope your new bed works well for you and helps your pain.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I guess I won't be adding to this thread anymore. It's useless without telling you guys what I bought and why.

I'm in no way affiliated with any company trying to sell anything. I work for a utility company, hardly a bed salesman. I'm just a consumer offering a review of what we bought. I put a lot of effort in to making the decision to purchase what we did and I did so without lying on the thing. Risky, but whatever.

Anyways, I bought an air bed. It was supposed to come today but is now not arriving until tomorrow. Sorry if I broke rules, didnt realize.
  • I cannot really discuss my mattress purchase in depth, but I will tell you guys that after 2 days of sleeping on it, I do seem to be getting more support. I cannot really tell if it's decreasing pain because my pain level was unrelated-ly exacerbated last week.

I chose an air bed due to the fact that it had adjustable firmness. In theory, the Tempur style mattresses should help pain sufferers more, but it felt like laying on clay in the store. I know several people that absolutely love their tempur mattress. I was very leery about getting stuck with something I didnt like. In the past I've loved traditional coil mattresses. They seem to wear out in 4+ years so I decided to try something different.

I did a ton of online and in-store research before the purchase. My advice would be this - If you're looking in to any type of mattress, there are plenty of consumer reports style websites out there. Do your homework and you'll find out who's reputable and who isnt. Also beware of paying more with companies that have a mass marketing campaign. The consumer pays for the marketing in the end, you know?

Cheers and I hope you all find a mattress that suits you! cj
  • I bought the same kind of bed; CJ, and i really dont like it. ....opted for the queen size top of the line model. But with my arthritic back, nothing will help. So theres 3700 bucks down the tubes. i like the fact that it has the memory foam topper, OR the "temp control" topper. The ONLY thing that is wrong with the mattresses themselves is that after about 6 months we noticed a dip in the middle. Called the company and they sent out pieces of foam to put under the chambers in the middle. Still didnt work. So they sent us two NEW chambers that zip together in the middle with a piece of foam between the two. Tried that with the foam under the chambers and it still leaves a "high" spot....so i cut the width down to 6 inches on the bottom piece of foam and 2 inches on the piece on top of that one. It was a pain in the butt and i am an expert of putting those beds together and tearing them down now...but now the problem is fixed and i guess i am getting better sleep. I still wake up sore every day though.
  • Thought I was crazy when I told him my back actually felt better after sleeping on an air mattress! Well after going through about 5(my one year old always found a way to pop them!) We finally got a normal mattress. Yet again my back is more stiff now than it was while using the air mattress.

My husband finally said, " I am not buying another one!" So...lol

Everyone always says that a hard flat bed is best for back problems, not mine! One night my husband put a piece of plywood under my side and I literally could not sit up the next morning. Straight up could not move the pain was so bad.

But everyone is different! Now I'm usually up for 20 hours, it's so hard to lay down and try to sleep when every 5 minutes I am having to roll over or put 4 pillows between my knees or under them. Bleh, even sleeping is a paid In the butt! Lol
  • I sleep in a water bed & my back LOVES it!

People are always shocked by this. Mine is wave-less and has baffles/tubes in it for support. My body loves heat, most nights I go to bed all cripple with pain and spasms and wake up "good" or at least better then when I went to bed :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 08/07/2012 - 4:52 AM
    instead of a solid lump of memory foam its hundreds of various density 8 sided memory foam springs .its been 20 years in the making and promises to be the answer to back pain {HA HA !!} but i will try anything to hell because i only get around 2 hours per night then the bed bits back !! .i have tried the top end memory foam bed and did not like it .at the moment i have a combination mattress on an electric adjustable base .its good but ..2 hours !! please i want better ..its still very new technology and not been available for long so i have no idea if i have just wasted 1400 pounds {for a single after discount} or not ..will let you know
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I ended up getting a brand name top of the line adjustable air mattress. It helps me a lot more than my old firm memory foam mattress did. It also has an adjustable base, so i can sleep with my legs a little elevated. It is 163$ a month for 2 years at 0% interest. Worth it to me!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    So, I strongly suggest that when you are shopping for a new bed/mattress that you spend time

1 - Researching the different types and brands
    2 - Visit the retail shops and lay down on the different beds
    3 - Repeat #1
    4 - Repeat #2 as often as you can until YOU find what is best for you!

Everyone on this site can give you their views about this. They can say this or that is the best, buy this, dont buy that, etc
    Listen but dont react.

Remember, its YOU that will be sleeping on the bed, not one of the other members
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • my wife says a memory and I say a adjustable, I wonder who is going to win, I would like the sitting up because thats how I sleep the best
  • We've just been through the dreaded new mattress experience, and this is how I see it.
    1. There is very little worthwhile research information available. So much is product sponsored.
    2. Testing for a short time in the shop may reveal the most comfortable bed in that context, but you need to spend a night on it to really see if it suits you. You have to relax into it, something you just won't do in a shop.
    3.Pillow tops tend to form ridges after a few years, and these won't go away.
    4. Latex mattresses are VERY heavy, so can't be moved.
    5. Other mattress types require either turning over or rotating every 2 weeks for a few months, then regularly after that. This is impossible as far as we are concerned-they are all just too heavy and awkward, and you risk injury.
    6. The base should probably be replaced at the same time.
    7. Foam overlays are a good way to increase softness if bed a bit too firm.
    8. They all seem to say to get as firm as you can, avoid soft.
    We had a pillow top latex previously, and after 4 years it started to mound in the middle and edges. We have just bought latex king singles, firm, with overlay. Wife loves it, I'm not sleeping well. I added an extra overlay, the egg crate style, and that has made it better. Hips can get more padding now.
    But there is a definite mound in the bed centre again!
    Sent pics to the supplier who just rang and we had a chat about what to do.
    We are still using the old base which may be the problem.
    However, he is going to replace my firm mattress with a medium, and try that. If no good, then we'll have to replace the base. Don't know how we would be able to move the mattress off and on though!

I'm pleased that they are offering to let me swap the mattress.
  • over the years i have spend thousands on mattresses and pillows .i bought a mattress 15 years ago when i first met my wife {as hers was a thin horrible thing ! } we had little money but i wanted a decent mattress as i still had back pain then {but no where near as bad as it is i now} so we when shopping and i found a generic {unbranded } spring and memory foam mattress going very very cheap it was about 300 pounds for a king size ! .so i bought it ..and it was fantastic {we gave it away when i bought the top end memory foam mattress tempur} big mistake in fact the people that we gave the generic matres to are still using it and its still in very good condition ..so a high price decent always mean your going to get the best .both me and my wife Her back is very good ] did not like the tempur we both found it was hard to get off and it hurt her back and it made my back worse .so what next ?? i wanted an electrical adjustable bed .and i though back to the generic mattress but the store had long closed down so i ended up purchasing a pair of electrically adjustable beds with a high end combination mattress that high quality pocket spring and memory foam topper and it got 5 levels of comfort throughout the mattress so its built in sections its harder at you head and softer around you hips etc..but even though i have not had any problems with it and the adjustable base is a must for me i still only get 2hours in bed then the mattress bits back ! .hence the new purchase ..i have seen it advertised on TV shopping channels the American ones .and on our QVC .but when the largest best store here in the uk became the main agent for this octaspring mattress i thought i must try it ..i like the technology and the use of various density memory foam springs sound excellent .i found it very comfy in store and did not buy on the day as its a considered purchase but decided to revisit the store and had another 12 minutes on it with my pillow and decided to buy it i managed to get 0% finance for 12 months .{i have not purchased anything on finance since 1989 that was my first new car a Nissan micra .} .so i am just waiting for my new purchase to arrive
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    edited 08/08/2012 - 5:15 AM
    There is a lot of research you can do. Granted some is product oriented. But you can check reviews by existing customers.
    Sometimes that tells it all. Also access to Consumer Reports provides an excellent non-biased review of beds , springs and mattresses.

When it comes to test driver the new bed. Sure you can spend sometime in the showroom. We did, perhaps an hour at a time, and multiple times. When we came to something we liked, we made a deal. Basically a trial period at home to test it out. If within a week, we were not satisfied, they would come to the house pick up the new bed at no cost and give us a total refund. Not all companies will do that. I can't mention the chain we purchased our bed through.
    But, if a salesman wants your business, and a new bed can cost up to $5,000, they should be willing to work with you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Peter BPPeter B Posts: 511
    edited 08/09/2012 - 2:26 AM
    I spent a lot of time researching mattresses, the various types,etc, and any reviews that I could find.
    The problem is that there are just so many differently named mattresses on sale, and seemingly each has 'chiro' somewhere in its name.
    Retailers often have their own range, too, so in the end thereare just too many variables and too few reviews. You'd be lucky to find anything relevant to the models you are looking at.
    Reviews are very subjective, too, so unless they are impartially and properly tested, may be of very little use.
    Most reviews that I read were written when the item was new, and not after a few years when it is more telling.

You really need to get a return or exchange deal, and give yourself several days at least to try it out.

In my case I will have to pay a delivery fee for my replacement, but quite happy to do that.
  • my doctor went apoplectic! Of course, sleeping is a relative term, as any of us spinies know. Most nights I end up sleeping on the floor. He told me to find a high coil count innerspring mattress, so shop away I did. I managed to find one produced in a factory near here, and they did a queen waterbed insert order for me. 680-something, six turn coil thirteen gauge. It is flippable, with a double euro top. I purchased a latex egg crate topper, which I'll replace once it gets too mashed, but strongly suspect I won't be using it. It's being delivered Friday. By the way, while I was testing mattresses, I told the salesmen that I planned to spend fifteen minutes on each mattress I tested to get a better idea than just laying down on them. The one I picked out, I ended up falling asleep on, right there in the store. Let's hope I get the same results at home.
    I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
  • odile53oodile53 Posts: 65
    edited 01/04/2013 - 5:25 PM
    I've had the firm innerspring mattress with the double euro top for a month now, including through my surgery. I'm sleeping like a log on it and wake up pretty darn comfortable, too, well, as comfortable as you can be after spine surgery. The euro top takes away the pressure points, and the springs give me plenty of support. I haven't used the latex egg crate topper yet (have it rolled up in the closet in case I decide to,) but all I can say is that the support this thing is giving me is great.

Putting a mattress, even a special sized one, into an old waterbed frame is an interesting proposition. Not needing a box spring because of the frame platform knocked $200 off the price of the mattress set (I ended up spending about $700.) I had gone to the air and foam mattress places, but didn't like them: I sank right into the latex one, and the air one just seemed to feel peculiar. Anyways, the old waterbed frame brought the height of this mattress up to 20 inches from the floor (I'm about 5'7", assuming the disc cage they put in me was the same height as the herniated disc--LOL!) So I can just sit down on the side of the bed and logroll right in---easy, peasy. The old padded frame gives me a place to rest my foot while removing socks, etc. No divots in the top. My husband, God bless him, has flipped it once for me already, and we plan to flip monthly for the first three months, then every three months per the manufacturer's advice.

The week before surgery, my retroactive workers' comp check came through, and I also stopped by Mom's house to visit her. Now, Mom's back is an absolute mess (kyphosis, a slight scoliosis, and I doubt she has had an intact lumbar disc in twenty years--she will be ninety this coming summer.) She is not a surgical candidate, and only some really good home care is keeping her out of a nursing home. She told me that before Dad died, they were planning on getting a new mattress: Dad died in 2002! That thing she was sleeping on looked like a lumpy bag of junk. I dragged her with me to the mattress store and told her to pick one out. Now, Mom tried to go with the cheapest one, but I kept encouraging her to try out successively better models.

You should have seen us there--two models for the "Orthopedic Monthly" centerfold (fictitious magazine,) hobbling around trying out mattresses. When the salesman was out of earshot, I told her, "Look, Mom. I have a certain amount budgeted for this. Pick out what you like best. I'm thinking of it as an investment in ME getting a better night's sleep because I know YOU'LL get a better night's sleep!" Finally, she relented, and got a model similar to mine, but slightly more plush but without the euro tops, also a two-sided, flippable model. Because she is so short, the salesman measured her and ordered a bunkie board instead of a box spring, making it safe for her to get in and out of bed on her own. She had previously been using a step stool to get in and out of bed---a fall waiting to happen.

The day after she spent her first night on it she called me in tears, telling me it was the best Christmas present she has ever gotten. A month later, she, too, still likes it.

Anyways, I'm happy with an innerspring mattress. Naturally, nothing lasts forever, and some day it will have to be replaced. I just hope they keep on making them!
    I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
  • Its what is comfortable for you . dont get it just cause somebody says its the greatest ... Lay on it for a while ... I just have a simmons beauty rest extr firm.
  • you can get both my wife and i both have a velda proflex 30 single electric adjustable bed she had a memory foam and pocket spring mattress on her side and i have a dormeo octaspring on my side {the bed just looks like a big bed as both beds are mechanically locked together but the benefit is that we can both have out beds as we want them Kath has hers almost flat and i have mine as i have my electric recliner in a W type position ..
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
This discussion has been closed.