Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ways to manage neck dizziness caused by birth trauma?

sunzzofmanssunzzofman Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Iv currently got dizziness caused by a neck injury that we seem to think was birth trauma because of foreceps.While im waiting to see a neurosurgery,(Gp reffered me straight to a neurosurgery :S).What could i do to make the symptoms more barable? i feel so dizzy,faint and unwell :( maybe hot/cold ice packs? neck massages? etc? not quite sure the exact type of injury,just says on the report its to do with my atlas and axis vertbrae on the left side which is making my cranium unstable.heres report below from chiropractier that was for my GP.

Heres the report below:

"this young man has recently consulted ourselves regarding his ongoing dizziness/vertigo.Onset occured some 2 and a half years ago after turning his head quickly.i believe mri scans of his cranial area were clear.however plain x-rays of his cervical spine have revealed a considerable anomaly with his atlas/axis vertbrae on the left side.

This is confirmed on the mri scan which just brings this area into view and i suspect has not been flagged up before.This would certainly affect his balance and is identified as a contraindiction to any routine manipulation.this may be a congential anomaly or traumatic in origin from a very early age which now remins unstable."

• When is your appointment with the Neurosurgeon? I think ice/heat is good advice from your Dr. Try to support your neck like when you're typing on the computer support your arms on a chair to take the strain off your neck and try not to bend down your head too far or over reach for anything.

I have neck spine issues in where I had whiplash caused by severe turning my neck too fast and went and got ultrasound treatments and inferential treatments done to take down the swelling where they put the pads on and is similar to TENs machine but is more effective from a professional machine at a Physiotherapist. You can ask your GP Dr. for a referral or your Chiropractor can do these treatments also but no manipulation of the neck of course. Of course I'm not a Dr. just giving my experience what I've had issues with my neck and have helped temporarily.

Do you have any tingling numbness is your arm or pain? Did you get a copy of your MRI? I hope you can get some answers soon and get some relief from the dizziness and see your Dr. if the dizziness is worse. I know what helped me get in faster to the Surgeon is to call and be put on a cancellation wait list to get in sooner. Keep us posted how you're doing. Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • firstly i just want to say thank you so much for replying it means alot! :D.i never used to have any tingleing but after some neck manipulation now sometimes when i have a dizzy spell i get like a electric shock down my fingers,was getting neck manipulation for bout 6 weeks till i got hold of my mri and gave that to the chiro,which he then said its worse then he thought and whell have to stop.no appointment for neuro as hes on holiday till next week,women on phone said to me "o well he dont normaly deal with dizzy patients" and said i may be reffered to a neurologist instead,tbh i dont care as long as i dont spend my life like this! :P. tbh id rather speak to someone like yourself then a doctor,yeh they have the knowledge but you have the experience! so you know how it feels etc . i cureent have my mri scan with me :) it was only a head scan but the atlas is in line with ur mouth so it just bout shows :) ty again :)

• I agree with Charry that you should definately NOT have any manipulation.

While you wait for your neurosurgeon appointment, I would advise you to be careful and not do anything that could cause a jolt to your head or a tug on your arms. That is advice that has been given to me while they are watching my neck to see how it progresses.

To help deal with the pain while you wait for the appointment, I agree that ice/heat could help. I also find that if my neck is painful, sometimes sitting in a recliner with a neck support pillow (travel, wrap around type) is often helpful. I also purchased a shaped cervical pillow that has improved my sleeping.

I hope that you get some answers and a plan to help you soon. Please do let us know. :)
    You will get great support here from people who understand how worrying all this can be.

• Thing is pain doesnt bother me,its dizziness,faint feeling etc that bothers me :( last night for the first time i used a contour pillow i bought few months back,and my lower back is killing me! also minor pain in my neck.wasnt sure if my necks a certain way a contour pillow may make it worse?
  • I bought one also and I use the small bump not the big bump on the contour pillow. I used to have to sleep with two pillows because of some dizziness I had before which has helped but was due to positional vertigo from crystals in the inner ear but that's another story that resolved on it's own with the 2 pillows and time. That didn't help my neck.

Have you had a CT scan of your head? Blood pressure and blood sugar alright also? How old are you?

When I felt faint and dizzy I went to ER and they did CT scan of head and made sure I was alright. Have you had a complete workup? If you still have dizziness sitting or try to get up slowly. I took Gravol 25mg to help with the dizziness but can't drive on it and makes me sleepy. Go to ER if dizziness worse and make sure it's caused by your neck issues. I also think you will need to see a Neurologist. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• If the pillow is making your pain worse, then it doesn't sound like it is for you.

Like Charry, I used the small bump of the pillow.

I've had positional vertigo a couple of times too Charry. Wow that is horrible when you turn over in bed and the room spins. It was so scary the first time I had it. Then you realise that it only last for a few seconds, so it is not nearly so frightening.

Last time I had it my GP said that she could do a manouver on me to get the crystals trapped so they wouldn't do it, but that because of my neck problems she wouldn't want to risk it.

You know, I went the first 40 years (or more) of my life with almost perfect health and would only go to a doctor about once every 3 years. I am definately making up for lost time now!

• Had a ct scan of my sinuses,but not the full head,unless they do just scan the hole thing when doing sinuses.blood pressure and sugar fine,im 21 years old,this started when i was about 18/19 :( .seen 2 neurologists,latest one said it was migraine,took some meds for a while but didnt help,then i decided to get my neck check and thought mite as well,and then it was found on x ray.Iv had soo many tests done,blood tests,urine test,vestibular assesement,EEG,24 hr ECG,Hearing and eye tests,all fine.Dont think theres anything else it could be iv had everything tests lol.

EDIT: i used the biggest side so mite try the smaller side tonight.i also get vertigo,doesnt happen all the time but i get it mostly if i lay in bed watching tv with my head on a few pillows,and the room spins violently for 12+ hours.