Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think i have a herniated disc? Please help!

ttm2833tttm2833 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Lower Back Pain
In my lower back i have had problems over the last year. Well been to chiropractors over the last 3 years but nothing too major until this year. Anyways in my lower right back i have pain all day everyday and causes pain to shoot through the top of my right leg and side of the leg sometimes. Today in school i almost couldn't take it anymore and about had to leave early thats how bad the pain was. I also have trouble sleeping because of the pain shooting through my leg. I have been to the chiropractor enough and done waisting my money there. In fact just got back from one and already have pain shooting through my leg as I'm writing this. I'm thinking about going to the doctors tomorrow to get painkillers even though i didint want to but i had enough of this pain. All day everyday it feels like someone is stabbing the insides of my leg nonstop. I just can't take it anymore. Also it just really depresses me that I'm only 18 with this problem and probably screwed for any kind of physical job. I work in a grocery store and stalk milk crates and push carts. Then at the end of night my bottom of back hurts then i start to limp really bad. And ik it sounds pathetic but its the truth. Anyways any guidance for me would be highly appreciated on what i should do. Thanks.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    This is a great site you found for yourself. There's a lot of info and the "search" may bring you to past posts that would be helpful to you.

I may have missed it, but I don't see where you had xrays or tests to see what your spine looks like.

It would probably benefit you to see a doctor for mri or other testing doc may want to get good look at spine. Then doc is able to give you some options for treatment.

Of course, no one should suffer needlessly, but you are very young and going without treatment may cause a situation to become worse for a longer than may have been necessary length of time.

The pain you describe and the spine itself...they are not to be ignored...as you are discovering with the relentless pain. And the pain is letting you know something wrong...and sometimes masking it with pain killers could allow you to cause further damage.

So, good idea to see a doctor, undergo treatment and hopefully treatment and rest ...this will be a story you tell others of how you have to respond to your body's screaming pain..and the sooner the better. :)

Keep us posted on how you are doing. We all learn from each other and we can learn from your situation also.

The very best of luck to you! :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Savage Gave you the best advice as any one going to tell you. Now get and go see a DR.

• ok thanks. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow morning. I just want the pain pills so i can sleep and quit once i get the right treatment. Its making my stomach sick and causing me to puke. So I'm guessing thats def. a sign to say go to the doctors.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    about this whole situation regarding pain killers. Requesting/Asking for them can almost be a tell tale sign of someone seeking drugs.

The best approach is to go over your situation with the doctor, talk about various action plans, what could be going on, etc.

Then let them decide what medications you should be taking.

Trust me, if you take the other approach, you might has well just written yourself off.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have been offered pain pills before at my last doctor visit and didn't take them. Its not like i want them but i had enough pain. Last visit wasn't about my back though but told the doctor about it anyways and he offered me pills. Doctors around here just give you stuff like nothing its disgusting. I know people who get pills for no pain problems but they lie about it. Im just going to say how my back has been messed up for a few years and now is to the point its making me sick in stomach and I'm puking and can barely sleep or stay in school cause of the pain. Painkillers were my last resort but I'm done with exercises and chiropractor visits.

I just want this pain to be away and hopefully a mri can be a step to help get me treated right so this all goes away.
  • Hopefully the Dr. orders some anti-inflammatory to help also with pain meds. I took a muscle relaxer after I got home from work and at night. Don't forget to ice 15 minutes every few hours to take the pain down and see if heat would be helpful also for about the same amount of time. Maybe Physiotherapy will be more helpful for you. I hope you get some relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.