Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

problems with ans st jude stimulator

stormitsstormit Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi all,
just wondering if anyone out there has a scs and works with electrical systems. i have been having problems with mine turning on and off if i get close to a fuse panel (breaker box). it also causes stimulation to change.i have talked to my rep about this but seem to think there's no way for this to happen. thanks for any input anyone has.

• Hi I have a different brand of a SCS unit for over 2 years .I never had a problen with it except reprograming it.

• Well i dont see how just going close to the breaker panel can cause it to go on,
    But they do say stay at a fear distance from microwave and such so i would keep my distance from any major electric panels,

Same as going through an airport security hand them a card that you have an scs so you dont walk through the exray machine, Let them tap you down and do a cavity search instead lol,

I had.mine implanted a week ago and has not hapened yet, But then again i dont lay or stick my fingers in the circuit breaker box either,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • SCS systems are susceptible to any type of electro-magnetic interference. It is quite possible for an older poorly shielded breaker panel to be putting out quite a bit of EMF which can cause problems with EMI. If I recall, the St Jude systems can be turned on and off with a magnet. They also can be used with a cordless remote. It is quite possible that the breaker panel is giving off EMF at a frequency that your SCS is open to.

Keep in mind that company reps are more educated on the medical side of the field and rely heavily on their tech departments for anything mechanical or technically related.

A couple things you could try to verify this, is to note how close you have to get before the panel shuts off your SCS. The wireless remote range for your SCS is 24 inches. See if it is within that range. You can also try using a standard magnetic compass to see if it deviates as you approach the breaker panel. Not truly scientific, but it should give you a decent indication of the field being present.

• Thanks haglandc,
    This is actually the 2nd scs i have had,long story but i had the first one a little over a year.Never had a problem with it until i got shocked with about 30,000 volts one day and it shorted the ipg out and burnt all the wires.So i had to have it replaced now this one seems to be receptive to magnetic fields.i had my rep turn the mag feature off but scs still turns itself on when i get in a srong magnetic field.i don't really know if it's the magnetic field or some sort of rf interference.i just thought maybe someone else with a scs had experienced this as well.thanks for the information.
    and alexhurting, i lay on the breaker box,i do put my fingers in them because i'm an electrian it's my job.