Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe DDD, DJD with others

Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:01 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all my name is Joe I am a 47 yr old male that has lived a very active life. Besides playing sports I worked a job for 22 yrs that was construction type of work, very labor intensive and operating heavy equipment on and off road. I was an active volunteer firefighter for 25 yrs with 15 yrs also spent on ambulance squad. In 2008 I had an X-ray and MRI in 2009. I was diagnosed with severe DDD, DJD, oesteophytes, stenosis and four herniated disc. I recently had an MRI done that also shows lower left convex scoliosis with reversal of the cervical lordosis. My disc herniations are C3-7, with narrowing of the neural foraminal bilaterally, effacing of thecal sac and disc impinging upon spinal cord and nerve root. I have been seeing a chiropractor for 25 yrs, started with back pain, my L5 and S1 are fused together, was told it was a birth defect, I have also had cervical epidural injections. I was on fentanyl patch in 2009 for apprx 6 months but asked to be taken off due to liability with driving and operating equipment. I am taking Vicodin now but am in constant pain and discomfort. I can not only get comfortable but I have a very difficult time sleeping. I am fairly certain I will need some type of neck surgery and would appreciate any advice that will help me with my decision. Thank you, Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    Honestly, your post seemed to be all over the place.
    It was hard to net it out as to what your problem is.
    It seemed to be a cervical issue.

So, please tell us what your doctors recommendation has been? Are the looking for surgery or other types of treatments

The DDD and DJD is so very common. It still is the most mis-understood spinal condition. The words "disease" make it seem so much worse. While in reality, must people have some signs of Degnerative Disc Disease in the late 20'

So to net it out. What is your current condition that your doctors have identified? Then what medications are you on and what treatments have your doctors setup for you?

The more we know about your situation, the easier it will be for others to respond to your thread.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sorry if I confused anybody in 2009 an ortho surgeon recommend a three disc replacement, I did not have surgery because I could not take three months off of work. I have since lost my job so time is not an issue. I am sending my medical records to a neurosurgeon and have to wait until he reviews files. I have four herniated disc C3-7 with stenosis, bone spurs and impingement of spinal cord and nerve roots, lordosis and scoliosis. My chiropractor recommended going to a neuro after reviewing recent MRI and because pain is non stop and I am having trouble sleeping. I have had epidural injections, acupuncture as well as going to my chiropractor in the past. The pain management DR recommended surgery in 2010 and I was on fentanyl patch but asked to be taken off due to liability with driving, I am taking vicodin now but it is not helping anymore. When I have my appt. with neuro I would like to know which questions to ask him and if surgery is recommended what can I expect. I am going to PCP on 3/19/12 to go over recent MRI and get referral and tell him that my pain has increased over last few weeks since I saw him and ask him for different meds. My neck feels like it is in a vice and being squeezed from inside, chiro said my stenosis is getting worse, I can also feel the bone spurs pressing on cord and nerve root and pain is going from neck to shoulder and left arm,my left shoulder is higher than right and neck looks uneven. My pain is literally 24/7 right now. I guess I am asking other people whom have had similar problems for advice. This is the first time I have "gone public" for advice, but I suppose that is evident. Please forgive me of beginners ignorance. Joe
    ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.

• Sorry if I confused anybody in 2009 an ortho surgeon recommend a three disc replacement, I did not have surgery because I could not take three months off of work. I have since lost my job so time is not an issue. I am sending my medical records to a neurosurgeon and have to wait until he reviews files. I have four herniated disc C3-7 with stenosis, bone spurs and impingement of spinal cord and nerve roots, lordosis and scoliosis. My chiropractor recommended going to a neuro after reviewing recent MRI and because pain is non stop and I am having trouble sleeping. I have had epidural injections, acupuncture as well as going to my chiropractor in the past. The pain management DR recommended surgery in 2010 and I was on fentanyl patch but asked to be taken off due to liability with driving, I am taking vicodin now but it is not helping anymore. When I have my appt. with neuro I would like to know which questions to ask him and if surgery is recommended what can I expect. I am going to PCP on 3/19/12 to go over recent MRI and get referral and tell him that my pain has increased over last few weeks since I saw him and ask him for different meds. My neck feels like it is in a vice and being squeezed from inside, chiro said my stenosis is getting worse, I can also feel the bone spurs pressing on cord and nerve root and pain is going from neck to shoulder and left arm,my left shoulder is higher than right and neck looks uneven. My pain is literally 24/7 right now. I guess I am asking other people whom have had similar problems for advice. This is the first time I have "gone public" for advice, but I suppose that is evident. Please forgive me of beginners ignorance. Joe